With the NCAA Selection Show approaching, this weekend’s slate of matches could have some big impacts on our projected tournament bids. Here’s a listing of a few key matchups to watch:
For Automatic Conference Bids:
Pitt, Louisville and NC State are tied for the ACC lead. NC State plays twice this weekend, and Louisville and Pitt once.
- NC State vs Clemson (11/9)
- Virginia vs Louisville (11/10)
- Wake Forest vs Pitt (11/10)
- Georgia Tech vs NC State (11/11)
Nebraska and Penn State are tied for the Big Ten lead with Minnesota 1.5 games back. The Gophers play twice this weekend while the other two play once each.
- Minnesota @ Purdue (11/10)
- Minnesota @ Indiana (11/11)
- Maryland @ Penn State (11/11)
- Rutgers @ Nebraska (11/12)
Texas holds a two-game lead on Baylor and Kansas, one of which will take sole possession of second place after a head-to-head this weekend.
- Texas @ Iowa State (11/11)
- Baylor @ Kansas (11/11)
Stanford leads USC by 3.5 games and Washington by 4. If the Trojans want to catch the Cardinal, they must beat them head-to-head next Wednesday.
- Washington vs Cal (11/9)
- Utah vs USC (11/9)
- Colorado vs USC (11/11)
- Stanford vs Washington State (11/11)
Florida and Kentucky are tied for the lead with Missouri two games back.
- Arkansas @ Florida (11/10)
- Missouri @ Florida (11/12)
- Kentucky @ Auburn (11/12)
Cal Poly can clinch the Big West with wins over UC Davis and UC Irvine.
- Cal Poly vs UC Davis (11/10)
- Cal Poly vs UC Irvine (11/11)
Wichita State currently leads SMU and Temple in The American with all three teams in play for NCAA bids.
- Wichita State @ ECU (11/10)
- SMU vs Temple (11/10)
- SMU vs UConn (11/11)
- Temple @ Tulsa (11/11)
- Wichita State @ Cincinnati (11/12)
Princeton and Yale are tied for the Ivy League lead. If both win out, it would force a one-match, sudden-death playoff for the conference title next weekend.
- Yale @ Cornell (11/10)
- Princeton @ Harvard (11/10)
- Yale @ Columbia (11/11)
- Princeton @ Dartmouth (11/11)
BYU and San Diego are tied for the WCC lead, each with 5 matches yet to play. They won’t play head-to-head again in the regular season, so every WCC match counts for the conference’s auto bid.
- BYU @ Gonzaga (11/9)
- San Diego @ Portland (11/9)
- BYU @ Portland (11/11)
- San Diego @ Gonzaga (11/11)
For At-Large Bids:
Last 8 In, First 8 Out:
Here’s a look at our last 8 teams into the tournament and first 8 teams left out based on our first-glance, very-preliminary tournament projection from earlier this week. Key matches with tournament teams or other bubble teams are bolded.
|Team||TH 11/9||FR 11/10||SA 11/11||SU 11/12|
|Notre Dame||vs Virginia Tech||vs Virginia|
vs Boston College
|Washington State||vs Cal||vs Stanford|
|Florida State||vs Syracuse||
vs Boston College
|UNC||vs Georgia Tech||vs Clemson|
|Maryland||@ Penn State|
|Marquette||vs Georgetown||vs Villanova|
@ Mississippi State
@ Washington State
|North Texas||vs WKU||vs MTSU|
|SMU||vs Temple||vs UConn|
|Temple||@ SMU||@ Tulsa|
|Iowa||vs Ohio State|