- King def. Lincoln Memorial 3-0, (25-15, 25-15, 25-21)
- King improves to 10-1
- Lincoln Memorial falls to 3-9
- Hosted by Lincoln Memorial
Courtesy of King Athletics
The King University men’s volleyball team continued their hot start to the season with their second straight sweep, topping Lincoln Memorial University 3-0. The Tornado used a balanced attack, four players with at least seven kills to take the nonconference tilt.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Lincoln Memorial 0 (25-15, 25-15, 25-21)
LOCATION: Mary Mars Gymnasium; Harrogate, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 10-1; Lincoln Memorial 3-9
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado used a 7-0 run in the first set to gain control. Jon Wheaton and Eddie Moushikhian started the spurt with a block and Jeff Sprayberry followed with a kill.
- Sprayberry capped the run with a service ace, giving King a 15-6 lead.
- Wheaton later gave King the first set 25-15 with a pair of kills.
- In the second set, King hit. .538 and used a 10-2 run, including six straight to gain a commanding 19-10 advantage.
- The spurt ended with consecutive kills from Adrian Besson, Kiel Bell and Wheaton.
- Besson posted two more kills late in the set as King took the frame 25-15.
- The third set was tight as King opened up a 13-7 lead only to see the Railsplitters come back.
- Lincoln Memorial came back to get within 17-16, but the Tornado scored three straight points, capped by a Drooker and Besson block to force a Lincoln Memorial timeout.
- Moushikhian gave King a chance a match point and Sprayberry gave King the set 25-21 with his eighth kill of the match.
- Sprayberry and Moushikhian led King with eight kills each.
- Besson and Wheaton followed with seven kills and three blocks apiece with Besson hitting .600 and Wheaton hitting .778.
- Drooker handed out 30 assists to go along with five digs and three kills.
- Jimmy Nuckolls led the defense with 10 digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Joshua Riblett led the way for Lincoln Memorial with eight kills.
- Ryan Iskandar handed out 18 assists to go along with seven digs.
- King returns home for a pair of key early season Conference Carolinas matches in the Student Center Complex. The Tornado take on 6-0 University of Mount Olive at 7:00 p.m. on Friday night and 6-1 Barton College at 2:00 p.m. on Saturday.
- Lincoln Memorial hosts St. Andrews University on Friday.