With the NCAA Tournament Selection Show coming up on Sunday, we’ll spend this week tracking the bubble teams to see who has improved their standing for an invite.
A look at our last 8 in, first 8 out after Friday’s matches. You can find the bubble teams as of the beginning of this week here.
|Colorado State (22-8)|
|Wichita State (23-7)|
|Georgia Tech (23-9)|
|Arkansas State (25-8)|
Here’s how it shaped up:
- Illinois swept Rutgers 3-0, but a tough Penn State squad awaits Saturday.
- Wichita State topped UNI in the Missouri Valley tournament 3-1. UNI is very much a bubble team at this point, and Wichita State is probably locked in, though they could earn an automatic bid by beating Missouri State in the final.
- Cincinnati beat Memphis 3-1. The Bearcats have won 6 straight to end the year and might be surging towards a last-minute berth.
- Temple beat Tulsa 3-1, but still faces an uphill battle to get in after losing at home to SMU this week.
- Same for UCF, which swept Houston 3-0 after losing earlier in the week.
- Marquette fell to Xavier 3-1 in the Big East tournament. Xavier then lost to Creighton in a quick 3-0 sweep. That hurts Marquette’s chances. Xavier was beyond even our first 8 out and probably doesn’t make the big leap in after being swept by Creighton.
- After winning a tight 3-2 match on Wednesday vs Miami, the score flipped for Georgia Tech Friday with a 3-2 loss to Florida State.
- Indiana was swept by Maryland 3-0 and is probably drawing dead for a tournament berth, unless they can pull off the unlikely upset of Ohio State on the road Saturday.
A look at the remaining games for the last 8 in, first 8 out:
- Pitt @ Virginia
- Baylor vs Kansas
- Illinois @ Penn State
- Wichita State vs Missouri State (Missouri Valley Tournament)
- Indiana @ Ohio State
- Alabama @ LSU