2017 USA Volleyball Open National Championships
Tomorrow begins the 89th annual Open Nationals, that have been held since 1928 – excluding two years during World War II. The competition will bring in 500 teams with over 6,000 players, ranging in age from 18 to 80.
The North Country Region is playing host to the competition as it is in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The region includes the states of Minnesota, North Dakota and South Dakota.
In addition to domestic squads competing, there will be 31 international teams joining the competition field, including Brazil, Canada, Mexico and Russia.
Alongside the Open National tournament, the U.S. Women’s and Men’s Sitting Teams will use the competition to scrimmage with some players also competing in the sitting volleyball division. The U.S. Women’s Sitting Team is the reigning Paralympic Games champions, as they took the gold medal in Rio last year. The 2016 Rio Games was the first time the Men’s Sitting Team competed at the Paralympic Games since 2004.
- May 26 – Start of competition
- May 27 – U.S. Women’s Sitting Team scrimmage 3 PM
- May 27 – U.S. Men’s Sitting Team scrimmage 3:30 PM
- May 28 – U.S. Women’s Sitting Team scrimmage 8 AM and 2 PM
- May 28 – U.S. Men’s Sitting Team scrimmage 8 AM
- May 28 – Finals for M/W AA, M/W A, Women 40+, 50+ and 60 +, Men 45+, 55+, 65+, 73+ and 78+, and Special Olympics divisions
- May 30 – Finals in M/W Open and Sitting divisions
- May 31 – Last day of competition
- May 31 – Finals for M/W BB, M/W B, Men 40+, 50+, 60+, 76+, and women’s 55/65+ divisions