- #5 Lewis def. Mount Olive 3-0, (25-17, 25-20, 25-19)
- Lewis improves to 13-3
- Mount Olive falls to 9-6
- Match Results
In a non-conference match up, #5 Lewis takes down Mount Olive in a three set sweep to extend their winning streak to five. The win is the seventh of the last eight matches for the Flyers.
Lewis led the match with a .316 hitting percentage led by freshman setter Ryan Van Loo who dished out 21 assists in the match. The Flyers were able to hold Mount Olive to a .170 hitting percentage, accounting for a total of 22 errors.
The victory for Lewis comes without standout’s Mitch Perinar and Ryan Coenen who sat out for the match.
In the first set, Lewis jumped to a quick 14-7 lead, continuing with the lead the remainder of the set before taking the first set at 25-17.
The Flyers used a number of runs to stay ahead in the match, using a 6-0 run in the second to take an 8-2 lead. Though, Mount Olive was able to fight back to bring the match within three points at 11-8. From there, Lewis went on a 10-2 run to extend their lead to 20-10, but the Trojans never gave up using runs of their own to fight their way back; however, dropping the set 25-20.
The third set continued much like the first two, with the Flyers coming out to a large lead, but the Trojans scrapping from behind to stay in the match. Halfway through the final set, Mount Olive brought the score to a tie at 15 all, but the Flyers went on a 10-4 run to finished out the match 25-19.
Tom Beckmann led the offense for Lewis with 10 kills and two aces, Trevor Weiskircher was close behind with nine kills. At the net, the Flyers were a brick wall, with Danny Maurer blocking six balls while Jacob Schmieglt and Dalen Instenes each contributed four.
To lead Mount Olive Robert Poole hammered down 10 kills while Jeff Donahue picked up a match-best seven digs.
Courtesy of Lewis Athletics
The No. 5 Lewis University men’s volleyball team extended its winning streak to five matches with the 25-17, 25-20, 25-19 non-conference sweep over Mount Olive at Neil Carey Arena on Saturday (Feb. 25).
Lewis redshirt junior opposite hitter Tom Beckmann (St. Louis, Mo./St. Louis University High) totaled a match-high 10 kills to lead the Flyers, while senior outside hitter Trevor Weiskircher (Loves Park, Ill./Boylan Catholic) pitched in nine kills and a team-high five digs.
With the win, Lewis improves to 13-3 overall and the Trojans fall to 9-6. The Flyers have now won seven of their last eight matches.
Lewis freshman setter Ryan Van Loo (Burbank, Calif. /John Burroughs) topped the Flyers with 21 assists, while junior middle blocker Danny Maurer (Oviedo Fla./Hagerty) notched a match-high six blocks in the win.
Flyer redshirt sophomore libero Jake Walenga (Frankfort, Ill./Lincoln-Way North) added a team-high five digs.
As a team, Lewis held a hitting percentage of .316 (36 kills, 11 errors, 79 attacks), while Mount Olive hit .170 (37-22-88). The Flyers also outblocked the Trojans, 11.5 to 5.0.
Lewis returns to action on Thursday (March 2), as the Flyers head to Lindenwood for a 7 PM first serve.
Courtesy of Mount Olive Athletics
The University of Mount Olive men’s volleyball team dropped a three-set match to fifth-ranked Lewis University, 3-0, on Saturday night in Romeoville, Illinois.
Score: No. 5 Lewis 3, Mount Olive 0 (25-17, 25-20, 25-19)
Records: Mount Olive (9-6, 8-1 CC) Lewis (13-3)
Location: Neil Carey Arena, Romeoville, Illinois
How It Happened
- The Trojans fell behind early in the opening set as Lewis jumped out to a 14-7 lead near the midway point of the set.
- UMO used a 3-0 run late in the set to close within five points at 21-16 before the Flyers closed out the Trojans with a 25-17 win in the opening stanza.
- After tying the set at two, the Trojans saw Lewis run out on a 6-0 run that gave the Flyers an 8-2 advantage and forced a UMO timeout.
- UMO responded with a 6-3 run capped off by a kill by junior Robert Poole that pushed the Trojans back within three at 11-8.
- In a set dominated by runs, Lewis ran off on a 10-2 run to grab a 21-10 lead, which was answered by a 6-0 run by the Trojans that trimmed the Flyers’ lead to just five at 21-16.
- Mount Olive and Lewis traded points in the final stretch of the second set as the Flyers earned the 25-20 set win.
- For most of the early portion of the third frame, UMO controlled the lead as the Trojans jumped out to a 14-9 lead over Lewis.
- The Flyers answered UMO’s run with a 6-0 run that gave Lewis a 15-13 lead.
- After the Trojans tied the set at 15, Lewis ended the set on a 10-4 run to grab the 25-19 third set win and the match victory.
- Poole led the Trojans with 10 kills in the loss.
- Junior Jeff Yasalonis tallied 20 assists to lead the Trojans, while senior Josh Donahue recorded seven digs for UMO.
- UMO was outhit, .316 to .170, by the Flyers.
Mount Olive remains on the road for a 7 p.m. matchup with Lincoln Memorial University on Sunday in Harrogate, Tennessee.