For the second year in a row, Balboa Bay 18 Blue volleyball club has won the 18-and-under title in the open division of the USA Volleyball Boys’ Junior National Championships. The championships took place at the Columbus Convention Center, where the women’s NCAA Tournament was held in 2016.
Balboa Bay took down 949 18 Black B-KC in a three-set match 2-1, (25-23, 22-25, 15-10) for the title. Both of the teams are from the USAV’s Southern California Region.
Carlos Rivera-Vega of Balboa Bay was named the MVP of the tournament, while teammates Garrett Halsey, Cole Pender and Cole Paxson each earned all-tournament honors. For 949, Jonathon Minsburg, Kyler Presho and Charlie Siragusa were also named to the all-tournament team.
In the championships, Balboa Bay lost just one match, going 10-1 in the tournament. Their only loss came to Yorktown out of Pennsylvania.
There was a record of 510 teams and more than 5,000 boys’ junior players from 12-18 playing in the tournament. Teams from the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico and Guam participated in the event.
- Borinquen Coqui 12-1M (Puerto Rico)
- Bay to Bay 12-1 (Northern California)
- MVVC 12 Red (Northern California) and Vaqueros 12-1 (Puerto Rico)
- Balboa Bay 18 Blue (Southern California)
- 949 18 Black B-KC (Southern California)
- MB Surf ASICS 18s and Rise T.O 18-Adam
- Mizuno East Volleyball Club 18-Ryan
- Kaizen Boys 18s Black
- Seaside 18-Black and VXS 18s Black