Courtesy: Big West Conference
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
TORREY VAN WINDEN, CAL POLY
Junior • OH • Napa, Calif. • UCLA
• For the second time in her Cal Poly career, Torrey Van Winden captured back-to-back Player of the Week honors, spearheading the Mustangs to a 3-0 record at the North Texas Challenge.
• The 6-foot-3 outside hitter hit .453 (60-12-106) over 10 sets as the Mustangs vanquished Mississippi State (3-0), Wichita State (3-1) and host Mean Green (3-0). She averaged 6.00 kills, 2.30 digs, 0.90 blocks and 0.30 aces.
• Van Winden recorded 17 kills on .364 hitting in the tournament opening win over Mississippi State.
• She notched 21 kills and added nine digs against Wichita State. Against North Texas, she posted her fourth 20-plus kill match of the year, finishing with 22. She hit .559 (22-3-34).
• Van Winden chipped in with 11 digs against North Texas to finish with her third double-double of the season. Also had three aces against the Mean Green while posting three block assists in all three contests.
Big West Player of the Week 2⃣ weeks in a row! After stellar performances over the weekend, Torrey Van Winden takes home the honor again! Check out the full story below. #RideHigh 🐎🏐
— Cal Poly Volleyball (@CalPolyVolley) September 17, 2018
Others nominated: Aeryn Owens (CSUN); Tyler Spriggs (Long Beach State); Ali Koumelis (UC Irvine); Chelsea Doyle (UC Riverside); Lindsey Ruddins (UC Santa Barbara); Natasha Burns (Hawai‘i)
FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK
ALLISON MARTINEZ, LONG BEACH STATE
OH • Montebello, Calif. • Westridge School
• Allison Martinez helped Long Beach State to a pair of wins in claiming her first Freshman Player of the Week award.
• Martinez finished the week with 18 kills, five blocks and three digs as the Beach knocked off Lamar (3-1) and Fresno State (3-2) at the LBSU Mizuno Invitational. The 6-foot outside hitter hit a sizzling .577 overall with with just three errors in 26 swings.
• Martinez had six kills, two digs and three blocks versus Lamar.
• She really stepped up in the five-set triumph over the Bulldogs, posting a season-high 12 kills on 15 swings – .733 hitting – and adding a dig and two blocks.
Congratulations to Allison Martinez on being named Big West Freshman Player of the Week! #GoBeach #LBNation pic.twitter.com/9N3U7My3qT
— LBSU W. Volleyball (@LBSU_WVB) September 17, 2018
Others nominated: Avalon DeNecochea (Cal Poly); Alexandra Pestolis (Cal State Fullerton); Abby Marjama (UC Irvine); Nailah Jones (UC Riverside); Olivia Lovenberg (UC Santa Barbara)
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
ALLY REYES, UC DAVIS
Junior • L/DS • Shadow Hills, Calif. • Village Christian HS
• UC Davis junior Ally Reyes averaged 5.38 digs per set in two matches as libero and established a career-best for digs against Pac-12 opponent Arizona.
• The former serving specialist donned the libero jersey in the second match of the Wildcat Classic against UT Martin and tied her then-career high of 13 digs in a four-set win.
• Against the tournament host Wildcats, Reyes more than doubled that effort with a career-best 30 scoops in a four-set loss. Arizona entered the weekend ranked No. 24 nationally in hitting percentage and fourth in kills per set.
• Reyes chipped in with 11 assists and two service aces over the three matches.
Others nominated: Katherine Brouker (Cal Poly); Neena Dimas (Cal State Fullerton); Emma Kirst (Long Beach State); Idara Akpakpa (UC Irvine); Victoria Bachawati (UC Riverside); Reyn Akiu (Hawai‘i)
Reyes earns Defensive Player of the Week nod – UC Davis https://t.co/R5Di5HvvGK
— UCDWomen'sVolleyball (@UCDVolleyball) September 17, 2018
Leave a Reply