The FIVB, the world governing body for both indoor and beach volleyball, participated in the United Nation’s International Day of Sport for Development and Peace on Wednesday, April 6th.
In the video below, the FIVB discusses different ways in which volleyball helps promote peace. The FIVB took advantage of the opportunity to promote their VolleyballYourWay initiative, which seeks to get more people to participate in the sport by breaking-down the rigidity of rules used in high level elite international and professional competitions.
Among the ways they say the sport helps:
- Volleyball is the #1 family sport in the world.
- Promotes teamwork
- Inspires communication in members of the team
- As a non-contact sport, it’s about team spirit and going beyond one’s own self-interest
- There are tons of ways to play volleyball in terms of rules, standards, courts, and team sizes, and people can develop their own sets of rules based on their skill sets, interests, and facilities
- Relatively little equipment required and playable on dozens of different playing surfaces
Leave a Reply