The University of Houston Volleyball program fell 3-2 (25-16, 23-25, 16-25, 25-20, 11-15) to UT Arlington in the finale of the UTA Invitational on Saturday night inside College Park Center.
With the decision, the Cougars fall to 1-2 on the season, while the Mavericks improve to 3-0.
For leading Houston in kills across all three matches, senior outside hitter Brianna Lynch earned All-Tournament honors. Lynch, who totaled 40 kills, averaged 3.08 kills per set.
HOW IT HAPPENED
After taking the opening set, 25-16, behind a season-best .452 attack percentage, the Cougars fell 25-23 and 25-16 in sets two and three.
In the fourth set, Houston regained its stride and hit .438, highlighted by five kills from Lynch, to claim a 25-20 victory to force a fifth set.
Unfortunately, the Cougars were unable to continue the momentum and fell 15-11 in the deciding set.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- For the second time on the season, four Cougars recorded double-figure kills.
- Lynch recorded a team-high 12 kills, her third time to lead Houston in kills in as many matches.
- Senior middle blocker Brianna Gardner registered a career-high 11 kills and tied her career high with six blocks (all assisted).
- Outside hitters Megan Duncan and Sarah Afflerbaugh recorded 11 and 10 kills, respectively.
- Freshman setter Abby Irvine totaled 30 assists, while junior Katie Krebs finished with 18.
- Defensively, sophomore libero Katie Karbo recorded a match-high 20 digs.
- The Cougars recorded a season-high 11 blocks as a team.
- Houston outhit the Mavs, .230-.226.
UT Arlington, 3-0 (Sets: 9-2)
McNeese, 2-1 (Sets: 6-5)
Houston, 1-2 (Sets: 7-6)
Southern, 0-3 (Sets: 0-9)
The Cougars will head to the George Mason Invitational, taking place Sept. 2-3, before closing out tournament play and opening their home slate with the eighth annual Flo Hyman Collegiate Cup across Sept. 8-9.
The Houston Athletics Ticket Office is once again proud to offer the Shasta Pass for the 2017-18 season. For just $80, Cougar fans can purchase one Shasta Pass, which allows season-long general admission entrance to all Houston Volleyball, Soccer, Women’s Basketball and Softball home games.
The Shasta Pass offers Houston fans a substantial saving as single-game tickets start at $5 for all four sports. To purchase a Shasta Pass, call 713-GO-COOGS or Click Here.
Follow Houston Volleyball on Twitter @UHCougarVB and “Like” /HoustonCougarVolleyball on Facebook. Houston Volleyball is now on Instagram as well at UHCougarVB.
JOIN POINT HOUSTON CLUB
Fans can help support the Houston Volleyball program by joining the Point HOUSTON Club. To find out more information about the Point HOUSTON Club, visit UHCougars.com or call Cougar Pride at (713) 743-GOUH.
Press Release courtesy of Houston Athletics.