Kelsie Payne (Kansas), Hali Hillegas (Iowa State) and Micaya White (Texas) are Big 12 volleyball weekly award recipients for matches played October 26 & 29.
Payne collects her sixth career Offensive Player of the Week including her second on the year. This marks the first Defensive Player of the Week for Hali Hillegas, who is the first freshman to take home the honor since Nov. 3, 2014. With her sixth Freshman of the Week this season, White ties Nebraska’s Hannah Werth (2009) for the most in a single-season.
OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Kelsie Payne, Kansas, Jr., RS, Austin, Texas/John B. Connally
- Helped Kansas move into a tie for first place in the Big 12 standings with wins over Texas Tech and No. 2 Texas last week, extending KU’s winning streak to eight matches and becoming the first team in the Big 12 to reach 20 wins this season (20-2).
- Averaged 4.62 kills per set on a .356 hitting percentage with seven blocks last week.
- Registered 21 kills to guide Kansas to a thrilling five-set win over No. 2 Texas in Lawrence on Saturday. The win snapped a 25-match series losing streak for the Jayhawks against the Longhorns. Also recorded eight digs and six blocks during the five-set win.
- Started the week with 16 kills and no attacking errors for a .571 hitting percentage at Texas Tech on Wednesday, adding 10 digs during the three-set sweep of the Red Raiders for her sixth double-double of the season.
- Quickly approaching the mark to become the 15th Jayhawk to reach 1,000 career kills, entering this week with 967 kills.
- One of two Big 12 players to rank top-6 in both hitting percentage (6th) and kills per set (4th) this season.
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Hali Hillegas, Iowa State, Fr., L, Charles City, Iowa/Charles City
- Led Iowa State and tied for most digs in a match across the week with 27 digs in win over Kansas State.
- The 27 digs was the second-most digs in a match in her career.
- Third match of 2016 with at least 20 digs, all in Big 12 play.
- Has 10-straight matches with at least 10 digs, including all nine Big 12 matches.
- Finished the week averaging 6.75 digs per set, tops in the Big 12 for the week.
FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK
Micaya White, Texas, OH, Frisco, Texas/Centennial
- Ranked second in the league on the week with 4.88 kills per set and 5.69 points per set.
- Over two matches, hit .323 with 39 kills, four aces and 16 digs.
- Totaled 14 kills in UT’s sweep over Oklahoma and 25 at Kansas.
News courtesy of Big 12.