The NCVF Collegiate Club Volleyball Championships have commenced with San Diego State capturing the Men’s Division I title, while San Francisco won the Women’s Division I title.
The competition was held in Kansas City, Missouri with 10 division titles being handed out with 442 team competition in the three day tournament. The competition was divided into division based on enrollment.
Of the 10 division titles, Cal Poly earned two golds in the Women’s Division IAA and Men’s Division III. Ohio State was able to reach three finals but was only able to take the Women’s Division III title.
The tournament’s matches were played by the best-of-three rule.
Division I Men’s
- San Diego State def. Ohio State A 2-0, (25-20, 25-18)
San Diego State avenged a loss to the Buckeyes in the finals with a two set sweep. For San Diego State, Andrew Freiha was named the MVP of the Division. Ohio State was undefeated entering the match, but the loss ended their run for perfection at an 8-1 loss.
Division I Men’s All-Tournament team
- MVP: Andrew Freiha (San Diego State)
- First Team: Chandler North (Marquette A); Dani Rivera-Aparicio (Marquette A); Dave Hancock (Purdue A); Travis Hudson (Wisconsin-Oshkosh); Josh Geary (Ohio State A); Peter Edwards (Ohio State A); Alec Tollgaard (San Diego State)
- Second Team: Adrian Williams (Cal Poly A); Kian Peterson (Indiana A); Wes Blodig (Illinois A); Danny Kingstad (Wisconsin A); Rob St. Claire (Purdue A); Karlis Abuls (Ohio State A); Ib Almoaiqel (Penn State A)
Division I Women’s
- San Francisco def. Ohio State A 2-0, (28-26, 27-25)
San Francisco used all that they had to take a two set sweep over Ohio State in the finals, using extra points in each set to take the victory. San Francisco’s Miranda Roberts was named the MVP of the division.
Division I Women’s All-Tournament Teams
- MVP: Miranda Roberts (San Francisco)
- First Team: Kayla Tedrick (Ohio State A); Michelle DeHenning (Ohio Stata A); Angie Morello (Wisconsin A); Monica Roberts (Texas A); Annie Goerdt (Minnesota A); Megan McGuigan (San Francisco); Clare Niswonger (Marquette A)
- Second Team: Juliette DiGiuseppe (Texas A&M A); Taylor Curtis (Ohio State A); Marisa Ejups (Michigan State A); Nicole Heimark (Wisconsin A); Ana Mooney (Texas A); Sydney Beyma (San Francisco); Michelle Konecki (Marquette A)
Other NCVF Divisional Winners
- Men’s Division IAA: Delaware def. Cornell 2-0, (25-20, 25-18)
- Women’s Division IAA: Cal Poly def. Tennessee 2-1, (25-23, 13-25, 15-13)
- Men’s Division IAAA: North Dakota State def. Illinois-Chicago 2-0, (25-21, 25-21)
- Women’s Division IAAA: North Carolina State def. Ohio 2-0, (27-25, 26-24)
- Men’s Division II: Saint Louis A def. Messiah 2-1, (23-25, 25-17, 15-8)
- Women’s Division II: Butler def. Wisconsin-LaCrosse 2-0, (25-17, 25-17)
- Men’s Division III: Cal Poly B def. Virginia Tech 2-1, (19-25, 25-23, 15-5)
- Women’s Division III: Ohio State B def. Michigan State B 2-0, (25-18, 25-22)