Courtesy: Mountain West Conference
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – The Mountain West announced today that San José State’s Thaliana Grajeda and Luiza Andrade have earned the Offensive and Defensive Players of the Week, respectively, for contests through Nov. 18. It’s the fifth time that Andrade has received the weekly recognition and the second time this season. Grajeda is being honored for the first time in her career.
Congratulation @ThaliGee and Luiza Andrade – MW Offensive and Defensive Players of the week in the @MW_OlySports! Great way to end the season!https://t.co/juWI8h4GAp
— SJSU VOLLEYBALL (@SJSUVB) November 19, 2018
OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
THALIANA GRAJEDA, SAN JOSÉ STATE
Junior, Middle Blocker, Clovis, California / Clovis East HS
- Led San José State to a pair of victories during the week against Fresno State and San Diego State, hitting .413 for the week and averaging 3.44 points per set.
- Hit .455 in the 3-1 win at Fresno State with 11 kills on 22 attempts and only one error.
- Hit .375 at San Diego State with 12 kills on 24 attempts in the 3-2 victory.
- Had three aces during the week – two at SDSU and one at Fresno State.
- Notched eight total blocks during the week, including two solo stuffs.
- Also tallied five digs over the two matches.
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
LUIZA ANDRADE, SAN JOSÉ STATE
Senior, Libero, Rio De Janeiro, Brazil / Anglo Americano
- Averaged 6.00 digs, 1.56 assists and 0.11 aces per set as the Spartans ended the season on a four-match win streak.
- On serve receive, was a perfect 35-for-35 with no reception errors.
Recorded a season-high 33 digs in a four-set win at Fresno State, the second-highest dig total in a four-set match in the league this season.
- Registered at least 30 digs for the fourth match of her career and for the second time this season.
- Added 21 digs in a 3-2 win at San Diego State and had six assists and a service ace.
- With her 54 digs for the week, moved into eighth on the MW career digs list with 1,653. She will finish second all-time at San José State in digs.
- With one service ace, finished the year with 49, tying for the eighth-most in school history. Andrade ends her career with 122 aces and will finish in the top-10 in the MW.
2018 Mountain West Women’s Volleyball Offensive Players of the Week
Aug. 27 – Jackie McBride, So., MB, Wyoming
Sept. 3 – Kayla Afoa, So., OH, Nevada
Sept. 10 – Mariena Hayden, So., OH, UNLV
Sept. 17 – Mariena Hayden, So., OH, UNLV
Sept. 24 – Mariena Hayden, So., OH, UNLV
Oct. 1 – Victoria Spragg, Sr., MB, New Mexico
Oct. 8 – Jackie McBride, So., MB, Wyoming
Oct. 15 – Paulina Hougaard-Jensen, Jr., MB, Colorado State
Oct. 22 – Madelyn Halteman, Jr., S, Fresno State
Oct. 29 – Kirstie Hillyer, Jr., MB, Colorado State
Nov. 5 – Taylor Slover, Sr., OH, Fresno State
Nov. 12 – Kirstie Hillyer, Jr., MB, Colorado State
Nov. 19 – Thaliana Grajeda, Jr., MB, San José State
2018 Mountain West Women’s Volleyball Defensive Players of the Week
Aug. 27 – Reagan Leonard, So., L, Fresno State
Sept. 3 – Jessica Donahue, Fr., MB, Boise State
Sept. 10 – Reed Copeland, Sr., MB, Wyoming
Sept. 17 – Elsa Descamps, Sr., MB, UNLV
Sept. 24 – Reed Copeland, Sr., MB, Wyoming
Oct. 1 – Reagan Leonard, So., L/DS, Fresno State
Oct. 8 – Deja Harris, Sr., MB, San Diego State
Oct. 15 – Haile Watson, Sr., MB, Fresno State
Oct. 22 – Kirstie Hillyer, Jr., MB, Colorado State
Oct. 29 – Mariessa Carrasco, Sr., MB, New Mexico
Nov. 5 – Morgan Hughes, Sr., MB, Boise State
Nov. 12 – Luiza Andrade, Sr, L, San José State
Nov. 19 – Luiza Andrade, Sr, L, San José State