Courtesy: Patriot League
CENTER VALLEY, Pa. – Lehigh junior right-side hitter Ana Spangenberg was named the Patriot League Volleyball Player of the Week, while Army West Point freshman middle blocker Emmy Barnhorst and Loyola Maryland freshman libero Katie Forsythe were selected as the co-rookies of the week when honors were announced by the League office on Monday.
American junior Jasmine Ellison, Loyola Maryland junior Ann Ernst and Navy sophomore Maddi Sgattoni all received a weekly honorable mention.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Ana Spangenberg, Lehigh, Jr., RS, Pittsburgh, Pa.
- Spangenberg led the Mountain Hawks with 20 kills in a season-opening win against Duquesne.
- The junior hit .349 for the match while she tied the team lead with two service aces, and added 11 digs for her seventh career double-double.
- Her 20th and final kill pulled Lehigh to an even score of 23-23 in the fourth set after the Mountain Hawks were down 23-21.
Congratulations to Ana Spangenberg of @LehighVBall, tabbed as Patriot League Player of the Week! Story: https://t.co/WMhj0fmt7U pic.twitter.com/QzukiXGNwU
— Lehigh Sports (@LehighSports) August 27, 2018
CO-ROOKIE OF THE WEEK
Emmy Barnhorst, Army West Point, Fr., MB, Winfield, Ill.
- The rookie led the Black Knights in all offensive categories and defensively at the net in three matches this past weekend.
- Barnhorst posted 3.29 points per set, while she averaged 2.57 kills and 1.36 blocks per set to go with a 3.17 hitting percentage.
- She totaled 35 kills, three solo and 19 assisted blocks, 14 digs and a service ace in the team’s matches against Quinnipiac, San Francisco and UTSA.
Way to go, Emmy! #GoArmy
— Army WP Volleyball (@ArmyWP_VB) August 27, 2018
Katie Forsythe, Loyola Maryland, Fr., L, Perry, Ohio
- The freshman ended her first weekend as a Greyhound with 79 total digs, 17 assist, one service ace and one kill.
- Forsythe set the school record with 41 digs to help Loyola Maryland defeat Towson for the first time since 1996.
- Overall for the weekend she averaged 6.58 digs per set (12 total sets) and 1.42 assists.
Katie Forsythe earns weekly rookie honor from @PatriotLeague after record-breaking performance! https://t.co/lm1ifYK6kn #gohounds pic.twitter.com/BCQMfToZUK
— Loyola Volleyball (@LoyolaVB) August 27, 2018
Jasmine Ellison, American, Jr., Opp., Ashland, Va.
* The junior hit .352 in three matches last weekend, to go with 21 kills and 23 digs.
Ann Ernst, Loyola Maryland, Jr., OH, Chicago, Ill.
* The junior hit .250 on the weekend while collecting 51 total kills and 34 digs.
Maddi Sgattoni, Navy, So., OH, Pittsburgh, Pa.
* Sgattoni averaged a team-high 3.78 kills and 2.89 digs per set this past weekend.