Katie Staiger (Baylor), Marion Hazelwood (Oklahoma) and Payton Caffrey (West Virginia) are Big 12 volleyball weekly award recipients for matches played October 5-8.
Staiger becomes the 10th player in league history to claim three or more Offensive Player of the Week honors in the same season as her trio of selections for 2016 ties for the fourth-most by one player in a single season. She joins Anna Breyfogle (2007) as the only Baylor student-athlete to win three or more conference weekly awards in the same season.
Caffrey is the first WVU player to garner more than three weekly awards in one season as she raises her 2016 Freshman of the Week total to four. She is the ninth rookie to earn the award four or more times in the same season since the honor was added in 2008.
Hazelwood collects her second career conference weekly accolade after winning Freshman of the Week in 2014.
OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Katie Staiger, Baylor, OH, RJr., Lewisville, Texas/Prestonwood Christian Academy
- Ranked in the top 10 in the league on the week in four categories including first in points per set and kills per set.
- Lifted Baylor to a 3-0 sweep over TCU, marking the third RPI top 20 win for the Bears in the last four weeks.
- Recorded 23 kills (7.67 average) in three sets with just one error on 47 attempts.
- Hit .468 in the match, which ranked as the second-best mark on the week in the league.
- Added 12 digs for an average of 4.00, eighth-highest average among conference players for the week.
- The 23 kills is the second-most in a three-match set in the Big 12 this season, with Staiger claiming four of the five top kill counts in three-set contests.
- Marked the most kills in a three-set match in BU history since 1999.
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Marion Hazelwood, Oklahoma, Jr., MB, Beach City, Texas/Barbers Hill
- Averaged 2.00 kills per set to tie for the league lead on the week.
- Posted a season-high nine blocks, including four solos, in the Sooners’ sweep at West Virginia on Friday night.
- Followed with five blocks, all assisted, in a 3-1 win on Saturday.
- Added 16 kills, averaging 2.29 per set, including 12 in Oklahoma’s Saturday victory.
FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK
Payton Caffrey, West Virginia, OH, Chuluota, Fla./Winter Springs
- Led the Mountaineers with 4.29 kills per set over two matches last week, ranking fourth among Big 12 players.
- Finished fifth in the league on the week with 4.64 points per set.
- Posted her ninth double-double of the season in a 3-1 loss to OU on Saturday with a team-high 18 kills and 12 digs
- Totaled 30 kills and 21 digs on the week.
|Date||Offensive Player||Defensive Player||Freshman|
|August 29||Kimmy Gardiner, Oklahoma, OH, Sr.||Branen Berta, Iowa State, L, Jr.||Payton Caffrey, West Virginia, OH|
|September 5||Audrey Alford, Oklahoma, S, So.||Cassie Wait, Kansas, L, Sr.||Micaya White, Texas, OH|
|September 12||Katie Staiger, Baylor, OH, RJr.||Cassie Wait, Kansas, L, Sr.||Micaya White, Texas, OH|
|September 19||Bryna Vogel, Kansas State, OPP, Jr.||Mia Swanegan, West Virginia, Jr., MB||Payton Caffrey, West Virginia, OH|
|September 26||Katie Staiger, Baylor, OH, RJr.;
Ebony Nwanebu, Texas, OH, Jr.
|Jana Brusek, Baylor, L, Jr.||Micaya White, Texas, OH;
Payton Caffrey, West Virginia, OH
|October 3||Jess Schaben, Iowa State, OH, So.||Natalie Gower, TCU, MB, Sr.||Micaya White, Texas, OH|
|October 10||Katie Staiger, Baylor, OH, RJr.||Marion Hazelwood, Oklahoma, MB, Jr.||Payton Caffey, West Virginia, OH|