2017 FIVB LONG BEACH PRESIDENTS CUP
- July 12-16
- Long Beach, California
The second day of the Long Beach President’s Cup has concluded with the women have completed their preliminary rounds and quarterfinal play, having the semifinals set to be played on July 15. The men will finish up quarterfinal play on July 15 the proceed to their semifinal and finals play on July 16.
- Talita Antunes/Larissa Franca (BRA) def. Laura Ludwig/Kira Walkenhorst (GER) 2-1, (21-12, 17-21 17-15)
- Lili Maestrini/Josi Alves (BRA) def. Whitaker/Sarah Pavan (CAN) 2-0, (21-13, 22-20)
- Chantal Laboureur/Julia Sude (GER) def. Heather Bansley/BrandieWilkerson (CAN) 2-0, (21-16, 21-18)
- Madelein Meppelink/Sophie van Gestel (NED) def. May/Pischke (CAN) 2-1, (20-22, 21-15, 15-12)
- Brooke Sweat/Summer Ross (USA) def. Emily Day/Brittany Hochevar (USA) 2-1, (21-13, 18-21, 15-6)
- Kim DiCello/Emily Stockman (USA) def. Lane Carico/Caitlin Ledoux (USA) 2-1, (21-17, 18-21, 15-11)
- Kelly Claes/Sara Hughes (USA) def. April Ross/Lauren Fendrick (USA) 2-0, (0-0, 0-0) injury
- Kerri Walsh Jennings/Nicole Branagh (USA) def. Betsi Flint/Kelley Larsen (USA) 2-0, (21-14, 24-22)
- Talita/Larissa (BRA) def. Laboureur/Sude (GER) 2-0, (21-14, 21-16)
- Ludwig/Walkenhorst (GER) def. Bansley/Wilkerson (CAN) 2-0, (23-21, 21-16)
- Claes/Hughes (USA) def. DiCello/Stockman (USA) 2-1, (21-14, 13-21, 15-12)
- Ross/Fendrick (USA) def. Sweat/Summer (USA) 2-0, (24-22, 21-13)
Antunes/Franca of Brazil continue their international dominance with wins over Olympic champions Ludwig/Walkenhort in pool play, then Laboureur/Sude in the quarterfinals to advance to the semifinals. Joining them in the semifinals are Ludwig/Walkenhorst, with which they will face, along with American’s Claes/Hughes taking on Ross/Fendrick.
The semifinals and finals will take place on July 15 for the women.
- Alvaro Filho/Saymon Santos (BRA) def. Alexander Brouwer/Robert Meeuwsen (NED) 2-0, (0-0, 0-0) injury
- Pablo Herrera/Adrian Gavira (ESP) def. Alex Ranghieri/Marco Caminati (ITA) 2-0, (22-20, 21-13)
- Piotr Kantor/Bartosz Losiak (POL) def. Sam Pedlow/Sam Schachter (CAN) 2-1, (21-17, 17-21, 17-15)
- Markus Bockermann/Lars Fluggen (GER) def. Ben Saxton/Chaim Schalk (CAN) 2-0, (21-15, 21-15)
- Phil Dalhausser/Nick Lucena (USA) def. Theo Brunner/Casey Patterson (USA) 2-0, (21-16, 21-19)
- Casey Jennings/Bill Kolinske (USA) def. Trevor Crabb/Sean Rosenthal (USA) 2-0, (0-0, 0-0) injury
- John Hyden/Ryan Doherty (USA) def. Taylor Crabb/Jake Gibb (USA) 2-0, (21-19, 21-12)
- Billy Allen/Ratledge (USA) def. Marty Lorenz/Mark Burik (USA) 2-0, (0-0, 0-0) injury
- Pedlow/Schachter (CAN) def. Herrera/Gavira (ESP) 2-0, (21-15, 21-14)
- Brunner/Patterson (USA) def. Hyden/Doherty (USA) 2-1, (26-24, 19-21, 15-13)
Injuries became a problem on the men’s side of the tournament, with three teams having to forfeit an entire match due to an injury.
Two more quarterfinal matches will take place on July 15 between – Kantor/Losiak (POL) vs. Ranghieri/Caminati (ITA) followed by Dalhausser/Lucena (USA) vs. Ta. Crabb/Gibb (USA).
The winners of the matches will be waiting to meet Pedlow/Schachter of Canada and Brunner/Patterson of the USA on July 16 in the semifinals with the finals to follow.