Decatur High School (TX) senior Autumn Finney is the only volleyball player who was nominated for an ESPY award. Her diving dig in an October match is one of 16 plays nominated for the Best Play honor, with her name appearing on a list alongside global sporting superstars including Cristiano Ronaldo, LeBron James, Gareth Bale, Nick Foles and the Alabama football team.
The ESPY Awards, which stand for Excellence in Sports Yearly, is ESPN‘s annual awards program. The majority of the awards, including the one that Finney was nominated for, are decided in part by an online fan vote. Winners will be announced during the annual awards show on July 18th.
This category is typically one that provides the most diverse set of athletes – from professionals like the ones mentioned above, to miraculous feats from amateur and high school athletes, like that of Finney.
There are typically a handful of volleyball players nominated for the “Best Athlete” or “Best Team” awards, including last year, where Stanford’s Inky Ajanaku was nominated for Best Female College Athlete, but this year, Finney is the only nominee.
See the play here:
Autumn is not even human I swear @Apfinney 😫💯💦 pic.twitter.com/iFxaJg9lGB
— mal✰ (@mallorydowne) October 21, 2017
Vote for your favorite at ESPYS.com.
Full List of Nominees for Best Play:
- ND’s Arike Ogunbowale hits 2nd buzzer beater to win NCAA women’s national title
- Minnesota Miracle: Stefon Diggs makes last-second TD Catch to send Vikings to NFC championship
- Philly Special: Eagles fool Patriots with fourth-down TD toss to Foles
- Alabama wins national title on 41-yard OT TD pass from Tua Tagovailoa to Devonta Smith
- FSU’s Jessie Warren makes diving double play in WCWS
- LeBron James nails buzzer beater 3-pointer to beat the Pacers in Game 5 of Round 1
- Evanston Township High school freshman Blake Peters hits 80-foot buzzer beater
- Gareth Bale scores go-ahead bicycle kick goal in Champions League Final
- Cristiano Ronaldo scores bicycle kick goal against Juventus
- Julian McGarvey makes last-second steal & heave to secure Ardsley High School’s 1st Section 1 title in 60 years
- LeBron floats a glass-kissing buzzer beater to beat Raptors in game 3 of round 2
- Team USA’s Jocelyne Lamoureux-Davidson scores the shootout winner to secure gold medal in women’s hockey
- Giannis Antetokounmpo leapfrog dunks on Tim Hardaway Jr
- Acrobatic volleyball play from Autumn Finney out of Decatur High School
- Golden Knights’ William Karlsson goes through legs for ‘goal of the year’ contender
- Jordan Poole hits buzzer-beater to send Michigan to the Sweet 16s