2017 WEST COAST CONFERENCE BEACH VOLLEYBALL TOURNAMENT
- April 21-22, 2017
- Santa Monica, California
- Double-Elimination Bracket Tournament
- Conference Site
- Day 1 recap
- Full Day 2 results
- Pepperdine Photo Gallery
The Pepperdine women’s beach volleyball team defended their West Coast Conference Championship on Saturday with a 4-1 win over Loyola Marymount. The Waves beat Loyola Marymount 4-1 in the first match on Sunday morning, which gave the champs a pass to the championship round.
Loyola Marymount jumped down to the loser’s bracket and for the 2nd time in as many days, upset 2nd-seeeded St. Mary’s to fight their way back to the championship round.
The Lions, though, were left with a tall task. Not only would they have to beat Pepperdine once, and not only would they then have to beat them twice, but they’d have to win on their 3rd and 4th matches of a 6-hour span, after having played twice already on Saturday. Meanwhile, the first championship game saw Pepperdine in just their 3rd match of the entire season.
In both of the Waves’ games on Saturday, they beat LMU on the 2-5 lines, while LMU’s Sarah Sponcil and Savannah Slattery toppled Delaney Knudsen and Madalyn Roh in 3 sets on the 1-line in both the morning and evening matches.
Knudsen and Roh are just 18-9 this season at the 1-line for Pepperdine, who sport a 24-3 record overall as a team. That’s the lowest winning percentage of any line for Pepperdine, which includes a 24-3 record for Corinne Quiggle and Brittany Howard at the 2 line.
Scoreline from the championship game:
Dual 27: No. 3 Pepperdine 4, Loyola Marymount 1 –
WCC CHAMPIONSHIPS FINALS | APRIL 22, 2017 | OCEAN PARK BEACH | SANTA MONICA, CALIF.
- Sarah Sponcil/Savannah Slattery (LMU) def. Delaney Knudsen/Madalyn Roh (PEPP) – 21-17, 29-31, 15-8
- Corinne Quiggle/Brittany Howard (PEPP) def. Kekai Whitford/Brittany Estes (LMU) – 21-12, 21-17
- Skylar Caputo/Heidi Dyer (PEPP) def. Jessie Prichard/Sara Kovac (LMU) – 21-18, 21-18
- Deahna Kraft/Anika Wilson (PEPP) def. Emma Doud/Veronica Nederend (LMU) – 21-13, 21-17
- Nikki Lyons/Sarah Seiber (PEPP) def. Kristen Castellanos/Erin Williams (LMU) – 21-11, 21-14
Order of finish: 5, 4, 2*, 3, 1