The fourth-ranked Florida State beach volleyball team (15-6) finished off the Surf & Turf Invitational with two victories over No. 13 Arizona State and New Orleans, bouncing back from a morning loss to No. 3 UCLA on Saturday. The Seminoles finished the weekend 4-1.
“We didn’t come ready to play this morning, so I challenged the team to bounce back and play well,” Florida State head coach Brooke Nile said. “We were able to bounce back and finish the day with some good wins.”
After an early morning loss to UCLA, Florida State got back on top as they defeated No. 12 Arizona State 5-0. The Noles got off to a blazing start as they won the first set on all five courts and won in straight sets on four of the five. Junior Victoria Paranagua and sophomore Macy Jerger started it off for the Garnet and Gold on court three as they won in straight sets, 21-13, 21-15.
The Noles kept it rolling as junior Vanessa Freire and freshman Francesca Goncalves took down the Sun Devils on court two, 21-11, 21-19. Redshirt junior Hailey Luke and redshirt freshman Eva Torruella clinched the match for FSU on court five as they captured their fourth win of the weekend, 21-18, 21-12.
The Seminoles capped off the match with two more wins as graduate senior Leigh Andrew and sophomore Brooke Kuhlman made it 4-0 with a 21-12, 21-18 win on court one. On court four redshirt junior Katie Horton and sophomore Nikki Esposito wrapped up the 5-0 shutout with a three set defeat of Arizona State’s Katelyn Carballo and Ellyson Lundberg, 21-16, 12-21, 15-7.
The Garnet and Gold finished off the weekend with their third 5-0 victory, this time over New Orleans. The Noles did not lose a set to the Privateers as they swept them on courts one through five. Senior Julia Thompson and freshman Danielle Pennington captured the first win for FSU on court five as they won 21-10, 21-9. On court four sophomore Breana Edwards and freshman Molly McBain recorded the Noles second point 21-7, 21-15. These were the first wins of the season for Pennington and Edwards.
On court one Leigh Andrew and senior Sierra Sanchez recorded the match clinching point, winning 21-16, 21-8. The Noles finished off New Orleans on courts two and three as Freire and Goncalves won 21-13, 21-8 and Paranagua and Jerger won 21-16, 21-5.
The Seminoles started the day with a 4-1 loss to the third-ranked Bruins. The Noles were shutout in the first set and only won the second set on one court. Katie Horton and McBain suffered the first loss for the Garnet and Gold on court four as they were defeated in straight sets, 21-17, 21-16. Next to fall for the Noles were Andrew and Kuhlman on court one. They too were defeated in straight sets, 21-16, 24-22. UCLA clinched the match on court two as the Bruins’ defeated Freire and Goncalves 21-14, 21-19. On court three Paranagua and Jerger lost 21-19, 25-23 to give UCLA a 4-0 lead.
The bright spot for the Noles against the Bruins was on court five as the duo of Luke and Torruella captured Florida State’s only point of the match. The pair was down early as they lost set one 21-18. Luke and Torruella won set two 22-20 and took the lead early in set three and never looked back as they won 15-12 to capture the Noles only point of the match.
The Seminoles return to action Friday to host the Staybridge Suits Invitational against TCU (4 p.m. ET Fri.), South Carolina (11:30 a.m. ET Sat.) and FAU (4 p.m. ET Sat.)
No. 4 Florida State 1, No. 3 UCLA 4 – Miami, Fla.
1. Nicole McNamara/Megan McNamara (UCLA) def. Leigh Andrew/Brooke Kuhlman (FSU) 21-16, 24-22
2. Kamila Tan/Madi Yeomans (UCLA) def. Vanessa Freire/Francesca Goncalves (FSU) 21-14, 21-19
3. Torrey Van Winden/Elise Zappia (UCLA) def. Macy Jerger/Victoria Paranagua (FSU) 21-19, 25-23
4. Izzy Carey/Jordan Anderson (UCLA) def. Katie Horton/Molly McBain (FSU) 21-17,21-16
5. Hailey Luke/Eva Torruella (FSU) def. ChantiHolroyd/Lily Justine (UCLA) 18-21, 22-20, 15-12
Order of finish: 4, 1, 3*, 2, 5
No. 4 Florida State 5, No. 12 Arizona State 0 – Miami, Fla.
1. Leigh Andrew/Brooke Kuhlman (FSU) def. Bianca Arellano/Whitney
2. Vanessa Freire/Francesca Goncalves (FSU) def. Oluoma Okaro/Madison
3. Macy Jerger/Victoria Paranagua (FSU) def. Cassidy Pickrell/Frances
4. Katie Horton/Nikki Esposito (FSU) def. Katelyn Carballo/Ellyson
5. Hailey Luke/Eva Torruella (FSU) def. Mia Rivera/Kwyn Johnson (ASU) 21-18, 21-12
Order of finish: 3, 2, 5*, 1, 4
No. 4 Florida State 5, New Orleans 0 – Miami, Fla.
1. Leigh Andrew/Sierra Sanchez (FSU) def. Cara Sander/Blessing Dunn (UNO) 21-16, 21-8
2. Vanessa Freire/Francesca Goncalves (FSU) def. Victoria Corcoran/Veronica Corcoran (UNO) 21-13, 21-7
3. Macy Jerger/Victoria Paranagua (FSU) def. Brooklyn Frank/Rachel Kuhn (UNO) 21- 16, 21-5
4. Breana Edwards/Molly McBain (FSU) def. Lauren Levy/Rhyan Rand (UNO) 21-7, 21-15
5. Julia Thompson/Danielle Pennington (FSU) def. Brianna Vega/Samantha Uline (UNO) 21-
Order of finish: 5, 4, 1*, 2, 3
For more information on Florida State beach volleyball, check out:
News courtesy of Florida State Athletics.
Leave a Reply