Courtesy: Pittsburgh Athletics
PITTSBURGH – The No. 8 University of Pittsburgh volleyball team (13-0, 2-0 ACC) will face Miami (6-3, 2-0 ACC), as both teams will look to stay unbeaten in conference play Friday at 7 p.m. at Fitzgerald Field House.
HOW TO FOLLOW
- Pitt’s match can be seen live on ACC Network Extra via WatchESPN.
- Live stats will be available via PittsburghPanthers.com.
- Fans can follow along with live updates on Twitter @Pitt_VB.
- Redshirt senior libero Angela Seman will give fans a behind-the-scenes look at the Panthers’ match day while taking over the @NCAAVolleyball Instagram account.
LAST TIME OUT
- Pitt was able to sweep Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Va. (Sept. 21), clinching its first conference road win and second road win of the 2018 season.
- With the win, the Panthers improved to 13-0 on the season. Pitt defeated the Hokies 25-16, 25-18, and 25-20.
- Junior right side Nika Markovic returned to the court after missing the previous two matches due to injury and led the Panthers with 14 kills and a .440 hitting percentage.
- Pitt was anchored on defense by junior middle Layne Van Buskirk providing nine blocks and redshirt senior libero Angela Seman recording 18 digs.
- As a team, the Panthers held the Hokies to 31 kills. Pitt was able to outhit the Virginia Tech .242 to .098.
A WIN WOULD…
- Mark the Panthers’ best start to a season in school history, improving to 14-0.
- Give the Panthers a 14-game winning streak, its longest streak since the 1987, when the team won 24 consecutive matches.
- Give Pitt a 3-0 start in ACC play for the third consecutive season.
- Improve the Panthers’ home record to 10-0, and 2-0 against ACC opponents.
- Be Pitt’s fifth consecutive win against Miami, dating back to 2015. The Panthers’ last loss against the Hurricanes came Nov. 14, 2014, 3-0, at the Fitzgerald Field House.
- Be Pitt’s third consecutive win when playing against Miami at the Fitzgerald Field House. The Panthers’ last loss when playing Miami at home came on Nov. 14, 2014.
PITT IN THE POLLS
- Pitt moved up one spot to No. 8 in this week’s edition of the AVCA Coaches Poll. This marks the Panthers’ highest national ranking in program history.
- The Panthers’ top ranking prior to the 2018 season came in 1990 when the squad was No. 17.
- Pitt’s offense has reached new heights in 2018, being tabbed one of the best in the nation.
- The Panthers currently are third in the nation in hitting percentage (.311) and are fourth in assists per set (13.96). Both of those marks lead the ACC. Pitt also leads the conference in kills per set (14.65), ranking sixth in the nation.
- Sophomore outside hitter Kayla Lund leads the conference with 18 service aces this season, and is No. 2 in the ACC in total points (215.5) and points per set (4.68).
SCOUTING THE HURRICANES
- Miami comes into the match with a 6-3 record, riding a four-match winning streak.
- On the Hurricanes’ last time out, they were able to defeat Duke 3-1, improving to 2-0 in the ACC.
- Miami’s trip to Pittsburgh will be its first ACC road match on the season. The Hurricanes are 1-0 in away games, defeating Texas A&M Corpus Christi 3-0.
- Redshirt senior setter Haley Templeton leads the ACC with 0.45 aces per set and ranks fourth in assists per set at 10.69.
- Redshirt sophomore outside hitter Elizaveta Lukianova has recorded double-digit kills in six matches this year, while posting a .322 hitting percentage.
- Miami has been impressive offensively, ranking third in the conference with a 0.274 hitting percentage and leading the conference in aces per set with 2.04.
- Defensively the Hurricanes rank towards the bottom of the ACC in digs, blocks, and opposing hitting percentage per set.
THE SERIES – MIAMI
- Pitt and Miami will meet for the 12th time in program history.
- The Panthers are 7-4 all-time against the Hurricanes, winners of the last four matches.
- Pitt has defended home court posting a 4-1 record at the Fitzgerald Field House.
- The last time the teams met was on Nov. 3, 2017, the Panthers won 3-1.
- Friday, Sept. 28: Price Is Right Night: All fans will receive their own Price is Right nametag and will have a chance to participate in in-game Price is Right themed contests to win prizes.
- Sunday, Sept. 30: Diocese Day: All Diocese teams are invited to attend. Sock It To Homelessness: Bring a pair of new socks to be donated and receive a pair of Pitt-themed socks.
- There will be a post-match autograph session after each match.
- Pitt will host Florida State Sept. 30, for a 1 p.m. match Sunday at Fitzgerald Field House in Pittsburgh. The contest will be streamed live on ACC Network Extra, available via the WatchESPN app.