Courtesy: Mountain West Conference
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – The Mountain West Offensive Player of the Week is Nevada’s Kayla Afoa, while Boise State’s Jessica Donahue earned the MW Defensive Player of the Week honors for play through Sept. 1. The pair are receiving the Conference’s weekly recognition for the first time in their respective careers.
OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
KAYLA AFOA, NEVADA
Sophomore, Outside Hitter, Honolulu, Hawaii / Kamehameha Schools
- Named to the Holiday Inn Express Invitational All-Tournament Team and earned MVP honors after leading the Wolf Pack to three wins over the weekend against Virginia, Northern Kentucky and Northern Illinois.
- Afoa recorded three double-doubles in each of the three matches during the weekend (kills-digs).
- Notched a career-high in kills with 18 against Northern Illinois and tallied a .359 hitting percentage in the contest.
- Set a career-high in attacks with 44 against Virginia, hitting with a .273 clip.
- Added four service aces to her weekend performance.
Congrats to Kayla on being named the Mountain West Offensive Player of the Week 👏 #BattleBorn
Details: https://t.co/tqgPXxzt1s pic.twitter.com/8lRi9SRXTr
— Nevada Wolf Pack VB (@PackVB) September 3, 2018
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
JESSICA DONAHUE, BOISE STATE
Freshman, Middle Blocker, Roseville, California / Roseville HS
- The freshman middle blocker earned MVP honors for her performance over the weekend, leading the Broncos to a Idaho State Invitational Championship.
- Tallied a team-high 20 blocks with a 1.67 per set average. She had two matches with seven blocks a piece. Her efforts helped the Broncos limit their foes attack, and twice during the weekend had half of the Broncos’ blocks.
- Added 30 kills on 62 attacks and hit at a clip of .339.
In the final victory of the weekend versus Idaho State, recorded double-digit kills with a weekend-high 13.
Boise State's Jessica Donahue has been named the Mountain West Volleyball Defensive Player of the Week after tallying 20 blocks and leading the Broncos to the ISU Invite title with a 3-0 mark. #BleedBlue @BroncoSports @MW_OlySports @AVCAVolleyball @NCAAVolleyball pic.twitter.com/Zke4ZYGlm6
— Boise State VB (@BroncoSportsVB) September 3, 2018