Courtesy: American Athletic Conference
Through two weeks of American play, UCF, Cincinnati and Tulsa remain undefeated against conference opponents this season with 3-0 records. The top of the league’s standings will clash over the weekend when UCF welcomes Tulsa to the Venue on Friday, October 5.
- Combining for a .642 (95-53) record against other conferences, The American continues to receive national recognition with three teams boasting top-50 RPI rankings. UCF is on a nine-match winning streak and came in at No. 14 to lead the league. Wichita State received the No. 42 spot, while Cincinnati is No. 46 on the list. The Bearcats also received votes in this week’s AVCA national poll. Tulsa (No. 75) and USF (No. 80) are also top-100 RPI teams.
- Cincinnati and USF enter the weekend, coming off three-straight sweeps for nine-consecutive sets won. The Bearcats’ outside hitter Jordan Thompson continues to dominate at the net. For a fifth-straight week, she leads the nation in points and kills. USF setter Briana Stowell and outside hitter Jac’cara Walker each have eight double-doubles this season. The Bulls welcome Wichita State and Tulsa to the Corral this weekend, while the Bearcats travel to Temple and UConn.
- The American saw its longest winning streak come to an end at the hands of the Golden Hurricane, as the Shockers’ 22-conference match swing was snapped last Saturday. Wichita State traveled to the Reynolds Center and fell in a 3-2 thriller to Tulsa, who remains undefeated at home with a 7-0 mark. Wichita State won the opening set by a remarkable score of 41-39, as both teams combined to record the most points scored in a single set in conference history.
- Two other teams join the Golden Hurricane with perfect slates at home this season: UCF (6-0) and Wichita State (2-0). In addition to facing Tulsa, the Knights will host the Shockers on Sunday. UCF freshman outside hitter McKenna Melville leads the conference with nine double-doubles.
- ECU and UConn are also coming off winning weekends. The Pirates completed a 3-0 week, defeating N.C. Central, Houston and SMU in four-set matches inside Williams Arena at Minges Coliseum. Right side hitter Bri Wood was an all-around contributor through the 3-0 week, averaging 3.17 kills, 3.25 digs, 0.42 blocks and 3.75 points per set with a .974 reception and .347 hitting percentage. The Pirates will hit the road for their next four matches, starting off at UConn and Temple this weekend.
- UConn won its sole match last week, coming out on top in a battle against its travel partner Temple, 3-1. Senior setter Emma Turner averaged 13.00 assists per set and paced UConn to hitting over .250 with 52 assists. Freshman outside hitter Caylee Parker had a double-double of 18 kills and 19 digs. The Huskies welcome ECU and Cincinnati to Gampel Pavilion this weekend.
|Friday, October 5|
|Tulane||Memphis||5:30 p.m.||Memphis, Tenn.||Live Stats Live Video|
|Tulsa||UCF||7 p.m.||Orlando, Fla.||Live Stats Live Video|
|Wichita State||USF||7 p.m.||Tampa, Fla.||Live Stats Live Video|
|Cincinnati||Temple||7 p.m.||Philadelphia, Pa.||Live Stats Live Video|
|ECU||UConn||7 p.m.||Storrs, Conn.||Live Stats|
|Houston||SMU||8 p.m.||Dallas, Texas||Live Stats Live Video|
|Sunday, October 7|
|Cincinnati||UConn||Noon||Storrs, Conn.||Live Stats|
|Tulsa||USF||Noon||Tampa, Fla.||Live Stats Live Video|
|ECU||Temple||1 p.m.||Philadelphia, Pa.||Live Stats Live Video|
|Wichita State||UCF||1 p.m.||Orlando, Fla.||Live Stats Live Video|