2017 SWATCH BEACH VOLLEYBALL FIVB WORLD TOUR FINALS
Day one of the 2017 World Tour Finals has come to a close with a number of men’s teams topping their pools with strong performances. These duos are competing for a share of the $800,000 prize, with the winner taking home $100,000 in prize money to share.
Winning their day one matches in Pool A are Phil Dalhausser/Nick Lucena and Clemens Doppler/Alexander Horst. Both of these winning pairs took down Spain’s Pablo Herra/Adrian Gavira who struggled on the first day of play.
Pool A Results
- Dalhausser/Lucena (USA) def. Herrera/Gavira (ESP) 2-0, (21-19, 21-13)
- Doppler/Horst (AUT) def. Herrera/Gavira (ESP) 2-1, (18-21, 21-17, 15-13)
Pool B saw victories from USA’s Theo Brunner/Casey Patterson as well as Russia’s Nikita Liamin/Viacheslav Krasilnikov. Brunner/Patterson began the tournament with a win over Brazil’s Andre Loyola/Evandro Goncalves but fell to the Russian duo.
Pool B Results
- Brunner/Patterson (USA) def. Andre/Evandro (BRA) 2-1, (21-18, 16-21, 15-13)
- Krasilnikov/Liamin (RUS) def. Brunner/Patterson (USA) 2-1, (18-21, 21-17, 15-10)
In Pool C, Jonathan Erdmann/Armin Dollinger opened up play with a win in front of their home crowd while Bartosz Losiak/Piotr Kantor of Poland also won their match on day one, both taking down Brazil’s Saymon Santos/Alvaro Filho.
Pool C Results
- Dollinger/Erdmann (GER) def. Alvaro/Saymon (BRA) 2-1, (21-15, 19-21, 15-13)
- Losiak/Kantor (POL) def. Alvaro/Saymon (BRA) 2-0, (22-20, 21-16)
Taking wins in Pool D are Markus Bockermann/Lorenz Schumann in from of their home crowd, along with Paolo Nicoli/Daniele Lupo as they both took down Canada’s Ben Saxton and Chaim Schalk.
Pool D Results
- Bockermann/Schumann (GER) def. Saxton/Schalk (CAN) 2-1, (20-22, 21-13, 15-11)
- Nicolai/Lupo (ITA) def. Saxton/Schalk (CAN) 2-0, (21-17, 21-15)