Press Release courtesy of Houston Athletics
The University of Houston Volleyball program continues American Athletic Conference play with a 6 p.m. CT match at Cincinnati on Friday and an 11:30 a.m. CT tilt at ECU on Sunday.
AT THE NET
Houston at Cincinnati *
Friday, Oct. 13 | 6 p.m. CT
St. Ursula Academy | Cincinnati, Ohio
Live Stats | Live Stream
Houston at ECU*
Sunday, Oct. 15 | 11:30 a.m. CT
Williams Arena at Minges Coliseum
Live Stats | Live Stream
- The Cougars, who are 6-8 overall and 2-4 in The American, are coming off a 1-1 week, sweeping Memphis on Friday before falling 3-0 to No. 24 Wichita State on Sunday.
- Against Memphis, senior outside hitter Sarah Afflerbaugh posted her third double-double of the season and 10th of her career behind a 10-kill, 11-dig effort. The Cougars recorded 11 blocks as a team, tying for their most in conference play and second most on the overall season. Houston’s 46 kills were also the team’s most in a three-set match on the season.
- Against No. 24 Wichita State, sophomore libero Katie Karbo recorded 13 digs. The match marked the Cougars’ first against a ranked opponent since 2012 and first at home since 2010, as well as the athletic department’s first game against Wichita State as a conference foe.
- Houston leads The American and ranks 19th in the country in service aces per set (1.64) and 46th in opponent hitting percentage (.171).
- Sophomore libero Katie Karbo ranks third in the league and 24th in the NCAA in digs per set (5.30). Senior outside hitter Sarah Afflerbaugh (0.32), Karbo (0.30) and senior middle blocker Brianna Gardner (0.28) rank sixth, seventh and ninth in The American in aces per set, respectively. Gardner also leads the Cougars in hitting percentage (.262) and blocks per set (0.96). Freshman Abby Irvine ranks third among freshmen in assists per set (5.98).
- The Cougars, who are 27-57 all-time in The American, are 8-12 (Sets: 31-42) all-time and are 3-6 (Sets: 12-20) when visiting Cincinnati. Houston is 16-5 (Sets: 52-24) all-time and 8-3 (Sets: 26-14) in trips to ECU.
SCOUTING THE OPPONENT
- The Bearcats enterFridaywith a 4-2 conference record and 6-12 overall mark.
- Junior Carly Nolan leads The American in kills per set (4.15), while junior Jasmine Jones ranks third in hitting percentage (.335) and fourth in blocks per set (1.15). Junior Jade Tingelhoff ranks fifth in the league in assists per set (9.51), while junior Abby Williams leads the team in digs per set (3.31).
- Head Coach Molly Alvey is in her sixth year at the helm of the Bearcats. Alvey posted a 38-24 record as the head coach at Houston from 2010-11 prior to taking over at Cincinnati.
- The Bearcats were tabbed second in The American Preseason Coaches’ Poll, receiving five first-place votes.
- The Pirates, who host Tulaneon Friday, are 4-2 in league play and 7-4 overall on the season.
- ECU is third in The American in both hitting percentage (.226) and opponent hitting percentage (.177).
- Sophomore Brandee Markwith ranks fourth in the league in digs per set (5.19). Senior Larl Ceriani ranks seventh in the conference in kills per set (3.30), while senior Natalie Montini ranks seventh in hitting percentage (.322), freshman Shelby Martin ranks seventh in assists per set (9.13) and sophomore Toya Osuegbu ranks seventh in blocks per set (1.09).
- The Pirates are in their fifth season under Head Coach Julie Torbett.
- ECU was picked 11th in The American Preseason Coaches’ Poll.
The Cougars will continue play in The American with home matches against UCF on Oct. 20 and USF on Oct. 22.
The Houston Athletics Ticket Office is once again proud to offer the Shasta Pass for the 2017-18 season. For just $80, Cougar fans can purchase one Shasta Pass, which allows season-long general admission entrance to all Houston Volleyball, Soccer, Women’s Basketball and Softball home games.
The Shasta Pass offers Houston fans a substantial saving as single-game tickets start at $5 for all four sports. To purchase a Shasta Pass, call 713-GO-COOGS or Click Here.
Follow Houston Volleyball on Twitter @UHCougarVB and “Like” /HoustonCougarVolleyball on Facebook. Houston Volleyball is now on Instagram as well at UHCougarVB.
JOIN POINT HOUSTON CLUB
Fans can help support the Houston Volleyball program by joining the Point HOUSTON Club. To find out more information about the Point HOUSTON Club, visit UHCougars.com or call Cougar Pride at (713) 743-GOUH.
Leave a Reply