Courtesy: Patriot League
CENTER VALLEY, Pa. — American and Loyola Maryland split this week’s volleyball awards that were announced by the League office on Monday. The Eagles’ Aleksandra Kazala was named Patriot League Volleyball Player of the Week for the second time this season, while the Greyhounds’ Katie Forsythe was selected as rookie of the week for the sixth time this season.
A trio of juniors – Colgate outside Alex Stein, Lehigh outside hitter Julia Pressly and Navy outside hitter Olivia Rozmus – each received weekly honorable mention.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Aleksandra Kazala, American, Sr., OH, Debica, Poland
* Kazala led the Eagles to triumphs versus Loyola Maryland and Navy.
* The senior notched a team-best 18 kills in a 3-0 sweep over Navy.
* She then nabbed a double-double at Loyola Maryland with 16 kills and 18 digs. She also added three blocks versus the Greyhounds.
Ola Kazala earned her second PL Player of the Week honor this season. https://t.co/yZxgtOJjOR pic.twitter.com/gXrUZGksaX
— AU Volleyball (@AU_Volleyball) October 29, 2018
ROOKIE OF THE WEEK
Katie Forsythe, Loyola Maryland, Fr., L, Perry, Ohio
* Forsythe averaged 5.25 digs per set in two matches against American and Navy.
* In the match against American, she had 23 digs as the Greyhounds pushed American to five sets for the first time since joining the Patriot League. She added an ace and six assists while receiving 42 serves without making a reception error.
* The rookie then had 19 digs versus Navy.
Katie Forsythe, who ranks SECOND in @NCAAVolleyball stats in digs per set, picked up her SIXTH @PatriotLeague Rookie of the Week honor of the year today for @LoyolaVB! https://t.co/FrAiNLct2w #ncaavb #gohounds pic.twitter.com/b4cJcJzny3
— Loyola Greyhounds (@LoyolaHounds) October 29, 2018
Alex Stein, Colgate, Jr., OH, East Setauket, N.Y.
* Stein earned her seventh double-double on the season with a team-high 13 kills and 14 digs in the 3-0 sweep over Bucknell this past weekend.
Julia Pressly, Lehigh, Jr., OH, Plano, Texas
* Pressly hit .308 with 16 kills, six digs, and two blocks in a five-set match against Holy Cross. Then, she hit .351 with a team-high 17 kills and eight digs against Army West Point.
Olivia Rozmus, Navy, Jr., OH, Chicago, Illinois
* Rozmus recorded 12 kills and a .348 attack percentage in Navy’s three-set match versus American.