COLUMBUS, Ohio – Head coach Pete Hanson and the Ohio State University men’s volleyball program added a pair of future student-athletes during the early signing period. Spencer Lawrence and Robbie Murphy will be coming to campus in the Fall of 2017.
“Both Robbie and Spencer are the type of individuals who will help our program remain competitive at the highest levels in the NCAA,” Hanson said. “We look forward to having these two fine student-athletes joining our program next Fall.
Spencer Lawrence | Middle Blocker | 6-4 | Costa Mesa, Calif. | Newport Harbor H.S.
- First Team All-Sunset League selection in each of the past two seasons, pacing the league in ’15 blocking
- Also lettered in basketball
- Played club ball for the Balboa Bay Volleyball Club
- Two-time Junior Olympic National champion and team captain (three straight finals appearances)
- Earned all-tournament honors in the 2015 Junior Olympic Nationals 16 Open Division
- Son of Robert and Amy Lawrence
- Siblings – Kyle and Trevor
- Kyle played volleyball for Ohio State (2009-13), Trevor threw shot put and hammer at UC Irvine (2011-15)
- Intends to major in business marketing
“Spencer brings a great amount of high level volleyball experience and knowledge to our program.”
Robbie Murphy | Outside Hitter | 6-5 | Glen Ellyn, Ill. | Glenbard West H.S.
- Pushed Glenbard West High to back-to-back Illinois state championships, including a 42-0 junior season
- Hilltoppers did drop a single set during the entire 2016 campaign
- Also a competitive swimmer since age 7
- Played club ball for the Hitmen Volleyball Club
- Three-year team captain for HVC competing in the Boys Junior National Championship
- Son of Paul and Beth Murphy
- Siblings – Megan and Ryan
- Grandfather, Bob, played baseball at the University of Wisconsin
- Intends to major in business
“Robbie has a wealth of experience and a high volleyball IQ. He will add depth and versatility to our group next season.”