2018 Memorial of Hubert Jerzy Wagner
- August 24th-26th, 2018
- Tauron Arena, Krakow, Poland
- Teams: Poland, France, Russia, Canada
- Official website
- TV: Polsat Sports and Polsat Sport Extra
The Russian Volleyball Federation has announced in its official website its men’s roster for the Hubert Jerzy Wagner Memorial. And it didn’t hold out, choosing instead to take to Poland its big guns. The roster basically the same team that ripped through competition en route to a gold medal finish at this year’s VNL:
- Setters: Alexander Butko, Sergei Grankin, Dmitry Kovalev
- Opposites: Maxim Mikhailov, Victor Poletaev
- Middles: Ilya Vlasov, Artem Volvich, Ilyas Kurkaev, Dmitry Musersky
- Outside Hitters: Yuri Berezhko, Dmitry Volkov, Anton Karpukhov, Egor Kluka, Alexei Rodichev
- Liberos: Alexei Verbov, Alexander Sokolov
This will be Russia’s 6th participation at the competition, the most of any team besides Poland. In all, it participated in the competition in 2004, 2011, 2013, 2014 and 2017, winning tit twice (in 2004 and 2014).
The Hubert Jerzy Wagner Memorial is perhaps men’s volleyball’s most prestigious friendly competition. It has been organized and played in Poland every year since 2013 in honor of the best volleyball coach in Polish volleyball history, Hubert Jerzy Wagner, who won the 1974 FIVB Men’s Volleyball World Championship and the Olympic gold in 1976.