2017 FIVB WORLD BEACH TOUR – RIO DE JANIERO
- May 17-21
- Olympic Park, Barra da Tijuca
- 4-Star Event
- Event Site
After nearly a month since the last FIVB World Tour event, the action picks back up this week in Rio.
At Olympic Park in Rio de Janiero, the U.S. will have six teams represented directly into the main draw of the tournament, with one women’s team fighting their way through the qualification round. The tournament is a four-star event that will feature 32 teams per gender in the main draw with 16 teams competing in the single-elimination qualification round, which will send eight teams to the main draw. After the first day of the main draw, the top-three teams from each pool will move on to the main draw single elimination round.
- Lane Carico/Lauren Fendrick (main draw)
- Kelly Claes/Sara Hughes (main draw)
- Emily Day/Brittany Hochevar (main draw)
- Kimberly DiCello/Emily Stockman (Qualification)
- Casey Patterson/Theo Brunner (main draw)
- Jake Gibb/Taylor Crabb (main draw)
- John Hyden/Ryan Doherty (main draw)
This will be the first FIVB tournament for Carico and Fendrick as a pair. The first time the duo played together was at the AVP Huntington Beach event earlier this month. Also making their FIVB World Tour debuts are freshly graduated, Claes and Hughes. The remaining U.S. duos have previously played together on the FIVB tour. Earlier this season, Fendrick and Hughes competed together at the World Tour event in Fort Lauderdale, finishing ninth overall.
No U.S. squads have topped the podium so far this season.