MOUNTAIN WEST ROUNDUP
- September 21, 2018
- UNLV def. Utah State 3-1
- Wyoming def. Nevada 3-0
- Boise State def. New Mexico 3-0
- Colorado State def. San Jose State 3-0
UNLV, Wyoming, and Colorado State, the top three schools in the Mountain West standings heading into Saturday, all took care of business to move to 2-0 in the conference. UNLV needed four sets to win on the road against Utah State, Wyoming won three highly competitive sets against Nevada, and Colorado State held off San Jose State 26-24 in Set 3 to earn the sweep. Meanwhile, Boise State picked up its first conference win by sweeping New Mexico.
*MATCH OF THE NIGHT*
UNLV DEF. UTAH STATE 3-1 (23-25, 25-20, 25-17, 25-23)
- UNLV moves to 11-3, 2-0 Mountain West; Utah State drops to 2-11, 0-2 Mountain West.
- Kirby Court at The Wayne Estes Center; Logan, Utah
- Attendance: 344
- Box score/Utah State Recap/UNLV Recap
- Outside hitter Mariena Hayden led the way for UNLV, tallying 26 kills and 13 digs. Fellow outside hitter Jillian Berg and right side hitter Erin Davis each added 12 kills for the Rebels.
- Outside hitter Bailey Downing led Utah State with 13 kills while middle blocker Lauren O’Brien chipped in 11.
- UNLV hit .312 as a team while limiting Utah State to .165.
- The Rebels were quick to gamble from the service line, tallying eight aces, but they also committed 16 errors.
UNLV came out in the opening set and took control of the Aggies by building a 16-12 advantage. Utah State continued to battle, tying the match five times before winning the final two points to take the set, 25-23.
Despite dropping the first set, the Rebels didn’t panic. UNLV grabbed the lead midway through Set 2 and put the Aggies away, 25-20 to even the match.
The Rebels fell behind early in the third set, but battled back to tie it up at 10 apiece. UNLV then surged ahead with an 8-1 run to grab an 18-11 lead and capped the set with a 4-0 run.
In the fourth, UNLV appeared in control as it held a 15-8 advantage, but Utah State rallied late to tie the set at 22. The Rebels closed out the match, thanks to an Aggie service error.
Here's how it all ended Saturday – a service error by Utah State! #BEaREBEL #MWVB
Final from the Estes Center
Score: #UNLVvball defeats USU 3-1
Set 1: USU 25-23
Set 2: UNLV 25-20
Set 3: UNLV 25-17
Set 4: UNLV 25-23 pic.twitter.com/N9Io9O5tNB
— UNLV Volleyball (@UNLVvball) September 22, 2018
WYOMING DEF. NEVADA 3-0 (25-23, 25-23, 25-22)
- Wyoming improves to 10-4, 2-0; Nevada falls to 7-6, 0-2.
- UniWyo Federal Credit Union Sports Complex; Laramie, Wyoming
- Attendance: 963
- Box score/Wyoming Recap/Nevada Recap
- Outside hitter Halie McArdle led the Cowgirls with 11 kills. Middle blocker Reed Copeland was a handful at the net for Wyoming, tallying 11 blocks.
- Nevada was led by outside hitter Kayla Afoa, who finished with 15 kills.
.@faithwaitsman23 says not today!🙌
💻: https://t.co/gl4cs5FT9b #OneWyoming #GoWyo pic.twitter.com/bisdMs3jR6
— Wyoming Cowgirl Volleyball (@WYO_Volleyball) September 22, 2018
BOISE STATE DEF. NEW MEXICO 3-0 (28-26, 25-22, 25-21)
- Boise State moves to 9-4, 1-1 MW. New Mexico drops to 7-7, 1-1 MW.
- Bronco Gym; Boise, Idaho
- Attendance: 719
- Box Score/Boise State Recap/New Mexico Recap
- Outside hitter Sabryn Roberts and middle blocker Morgan Hughes each had 14 kills for Boise State. Hughes added 10 digs and hit .522.
- Outside hitter Lauren Twitty led New Mexico with nine kills and 10 digs. She also added a pair of blocks, but only hit .032.
- Boise State forced 20 New Mexico attack errors and held it to a .129 clip. The Broncos hit .222 for the match.
Game. Set. Match! Sabryn Roberts closes this match out with her 14th kill of the match. Her and Janell Walley finish tied for a team high 14 kills. Broncos beat the Lobos 3-0 #BroncosWin #BleedBlue pic.twitter.com/51IAwjxSjX
— Boise State VB (@BroncoSportsVB) September 22, 2018
COLORADO STATE DEF. SAN JOSE STATE 3-0 (25-15, 25-16, 26-24)
- Colorado State improves to 10-4, 2-0 MW; San Jose State falters to 5-6, 0-2 MW
- Moby Arena; Fort Collins, Colorado
- Box Score/Colorado State Recap/San Jose State Recap
- Outside hitter Breana Runnels led Colorado State with 14 kills. Middle blocker Paulina Hougaard-Jensen tallied 11 kills and hit. 625.
- Outside hitter Fernanda Vido let San Jose State with nine putaway.
- Colorado State hit .398 as a team and limited to San Jose State to a .116 effort.
.@khillyer32 with the SOLO! #PointAggies pic.twitter.com/yLSpPGr0kx
— Colorado State Volleyball (@CSUvolleyball) September 23, 2018
- New Mexico will host UNLV at 9 p.m. ET Wednesday
- San Jose State welcomes Utah State at 10 p.m. ET Thursday.
- Colorado State heads to San Diego State at 9 p.m. ET Thursday.
- Nevada hosts Boise State at 9:30 p.m. Thursday.
- Wyoming heads to Fresno State at 10 p.m. Thursday.
- Be sure to check out VolleyMob’s TV Schedule to find out when you can check out your favorite program.
Leave a Reply