BIG 12 RUNDOWN
- October 27, 2018
- (RV) Baylor def. (RV) Kansas 3-0
- Texas Tech def. TCU 3-0
- #9 Texas def. Oklahoma 3-0
In Big 12 action, Saturday was all about the home teams. In Austin, #9 Texas swept Oklahoma while Baylor was impressive in a sweep of Kansas. In Lubbock, Texas Tech also collected a sweep of visiting TCU.
*MATCH OF THE DAY*
(RV) BAYLOR DEF. (RV) KANSAS 3-0 (25-21, 25-21, 25-17)
- Baylor improves to 14-7 (6-4 Big 12); Kansas falls to 13-7 (6-3 Big 12)
- Ferrell Center; Waco, Texas
- Attendance: 782
- Box score
- Baylor Recap/Kansas Recap
- Middle blocker Shelly Fanning was the star for the Bears. Fanning converted 18/26 attacks, good for a .692 clip. Outside hitter Yossiana Pressley tallied 9 kills, but only hit .088.
- Fellow Baylor Middle blocker Jaelyn Jackson found great success in the middle as she converted 5/6 of attacks (.833).
- Kansas got 13 kills from outside hitter Ashley Smith and 12 from fellow outside hitter Jada Burse.
- After starting Big 12 play 6-0, the Jayhawks have now dropped three straight matches.
- Baylor hit .296 for the match and held Kansas to .178.
A win over Kansas? How sweep it is 😎 🍦#SicEm #NCAAVB #BUVB #SHINE pic.twitter.com/SRH1oVV1d1
— Baylor Volleyball (@BaylorVBall) October 27, 2018
HOW IT HAPPENED
The first set went back and forth, but it was Baylor who seized control midway through the set. With an 11-10 lead, the Bears reeled off six straight to take a 17-10 lead. Kansas battled back and used a pair of 4-0 runs to cut the deficit to 24-21, but Baylor got a kill from outside hitter Yossiana Pressley to take the opener, 25-21.
Baylor led for most of the second set, but Kansas managed to keep it close. The Jayhawks took the lead at 12-11 before a 4-1 spurt gave the Bears a 15-13 advantage. Kansas continued to battle, tying the set at 20. From there, Baylor closed out the set on a 5-1 run, to take the set, 25-21.
The Bears trailed 3-2 early in the third set, but a 7-2 run gave Baylor a 9-5 lead and put them in control for the remainder of the match. Baylor would extend its lead and complete the sweep of the Jayhawks with a 25-17 victory.
TEXAS TECH DEF. TCU 3-0 (26-24, 25-11, 25-23)
- Texas Tech moves to 16-8, 5-5 (Big 12); TCU dips to 12-9 (4-6 Big 12)
- United Supermarkets Arena; Lubbock, Texas
- Attendance: 637
- Box score
- Texas Tech Recap/TCU Recap
- The Red Raiders were led by outside hitter Brooke Kanas, who finished with 13 kills. Fellow outside hitter Emily Hill added 12 kills and 11 digs.
- TCU outside hitter Lexi MacLean led the way with 12 kills.
- Texas Tech hit .282 as a team and limited TCU to .155.
#9 TEXAS DEF. OKLAHOMA 3-0 (25-15, 25-20, 25-23)
- Texas improves to 14-4 (9-1 Big 12); Oklahoma drops to 13-9 (5-5 Big 12)
- Gregory Gymnasium; Austin, Texas
- TV: Longhorn Network
- Box score
- Texas Recap/Oklahoma Recap
- The Longhorns got a match-high 13 kills from outside hitter Micaya White. Texas also got 10 kills from outside hitter Logan Eggleston.
- The Sooners were led by outside hitter Alyssa Enneking, who tallied 12 kills. Outside hitter Morgan Miller chipped in 9 kills for Oklahoma.
- Texas hit .309 for the match and held Oklahoma to .208.
- Both teams were a sloppy from the service line. Oklahoma committed 13 service errors and converted just one ace while Texas committed 6, but converted 4 aces.
Shook gets the dump! 🤘@ashshook_9 pic.twitter.com/uArW9PP6JQ
— Texas Volleyball (@TexasVolleyball) October 27, 2018
- (RV) Baylor heads to Norman to take on Oklahoma at 8 p.m. ET Saturday.
- (RV) Kansas visits West Virginia at 6 p.m. ET Wednesday.
- Texas Tech hits the road to battle (RV) Kansas Saturday. Match time has yet to be announced.
- #9 Texas hosts TCU at 8 p.m. ET Wednesday.
- Keep up to date on when your program is on TV by checking out VolleyMob’s TV Schedule.