Courtesy: Mountain West Conference
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – UNLV’s Mariena Hayden was selected as the Mountain West Offensive Player of the Week for the second consecutive week and the second time in her career, while her teammate Elsa Descamps was named the MW Defensive Player of the Week. It’s the second time in Descamps career that she has received the Conference’s weekly honor, receiving an offensive award in 2016. Both student-athletes were selected for their performances in contests through Sept. 16.
OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
MARIENA HAYDEN, UNLV
Sophomore, Outside Hitter, Belle Plaine, Minnesota / Belle Plaine HS
- Hayden was named the Billiken Invitational MVP this past weekend as she led the Rebels with 50 kills, 12 service aces and two double-double performances.
- She registered a .293 attack percentage in a four-set victory against Murray State. The sophomore notched 15 kills, 12 digs and added eight service aces.
- In the Rebels comeback victory against UMKC, Hayden had 19 kills and 11 digs. The Minnesota native hit at a .421 clip over the fourth and fifth sets with nine kills.
- In the weekend finale, she had 16 kills hitting with a .667 attack percentage, while adding seven digs, two aces and an assist.
- This past weekend, Hayden became UNLV’s single-season record holder for aces (52) after surpassing the 1985 mark of 50 set by Debbie Teso. She is fourth overall in school history with 95 career aces and is currently the MW active leader in the category.
- The Rebels improved to 9-3 heading into Conference action after wins against Murray State, UMKC and Saint Louis.
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
ELSA DESCAMPS, UNLV
Senior, Middle Blocker, Mulhouse, France / Lycee Bellevue
- Descamps earned all-tournament honors at the Billiken Invitational as she recorded a pair of double-doubles (kills-digs) during the three-win weekend.
- Descamps led the Rebels in total blocks (8), assisted blocks (6), and blocks per set during the weekend (0.67).
- Versus Murray State, the senior had 13 digs and 10 kills along with two assists and an ace.
- In the UMKC contest, she had 12 digs, 11 kills, three blocks and three aces.
- During the weekend, the French native hit at a .304 clip, tallied 2.50 kills per set, and 2.25 digs per set.
ICYMI: @Marienahayden was named the @MW_OlySports Offensive Player of the Week for the 2⃣nd straight week, while teammate Elsa Descamps was selected for the Defensive award! #UNLVvball 🏐 #BEaREBEL
📄: https://t.co/ukuAByUY5v pic.twitter.com/eobkZlghM9
— UNLV Volleyball (@UNLVvball) September 17, 2018
2018 Mountain West Women’s Volleyball Offensive Players of the Week
Aug. 27 – Jackie McBride, So., MB, Wyoming
Sept. 3 – Kayla Afoa, So., OH, Nevada
Sept. 10 – Mariena Hayden, So., OH, UNLV
Sept. 17 – Mariena Hayden, So., OH, UNLV
2018 Mountain West Women’s Volleyball Defensive Players of the Week
Aug. 27 – Reagan Leonard, So., L, Fresno State
Sept. 3 – Jessica Donahue, Fr., MB, Boise State
Sept. 10 – Reed Copeland, Sr., MB, Wyoming
Sept. 17 – Elsa Descamps, Sr., MB, UNLV