Courtesy: Utah Athletics
TUCSON, Ariz. – The Utah beach volleyball team wrapped up the 2018 regular season on Saturday, facing New Mexico on the final day of the Bear Down Bash. Utah picked up the win over New Mexico 3-2 at the Arizona Beach Volleyball Courts in Tucson, Ariz.
The Utes finished 2-1 at the Bear Down Bash, after splitting yesterday’s matches, to improve to 4-10 in the regular season. The New Mexico Lobos fell to 9-14 in its regular season campaign.
Utah earned the first two points of the dual from match wins in the No. 4 and No. 5 spots. Both pairs won in straight sets as Lauga Gauta and Berkeley Oblad teamed up for the first time this season, as did Brianna Doehrmann and Lauren Sproule.
Clinching the team win for the Utes were Adora Anae and Dani Barton as Utah’s No. 1 pair. Anae and Barton took the Lobos to a third set and won 15-13 to secure the team victory. The three-set win over New Mexico marked Anae and Barton’s seventh consecutive win as Utah’s No. 1 duo.
The Utes dropped the matches in the No. 2 & 3 positions after both courts battled to a third set, but came up just short.
The Utah beach volleyball team will head to the Pac-12 Beach Volleyball Championships next Thursdaythrough Saturday, April 26-28. The conference tournament will be held in Stanford, Calif.
Utah 3, New Mexico 2
1. Adora Anae/Dani Barton (UTAH) def. Maddie Irwin/Erin Martin (UNM) 18-21, 21-19, 15-13
2. Eastyn Baleto/Lauren Twitty (UNM) def. Bailey Choy/Tawnee Luafalemana (UTAH) 21-10, 17-21, 15-7
3. Chloe Crappell/Yasmin Tan (UNM) def. Kenzie Koerber/Melissa Powell (UTAH) 19-21, 21-15, 15-10
4. Lauga Gauta/Berkeley Oblad (UTAH) def. Carly Beddingfield/Mercedes Pacheco (UNM) 21-11, 21-12
5. Brianna Doehrmann/Lauren Sproule (UTAH) def. Kayla Long/Abbey Willison (UNM) 21-15, 21-15