The top-ranked Florida Gators lost their first game of the season on Sunday against the most-likely team remaining on their regular-season schedule, the 9th-ranked Kentucky Wildcats, by a 3-1 score.
Florida’s previously-unbeaten record tied the 2010 Stanford Cardinal and the 2016 Nebraska Cornhuskers for the fewest wins by the last-undefeated-team-in-the-country of this decade at 14-0, although the Gators’ total has been limited by a 3-game cancellation caused by Hurricane Irma. Two of those games were probable Gator wins – against UNC Greensboro and American University – while the 3rd was against top-25 team Michigan State that was more up-in-the-air.
This was Florida’s best start since the 2007 season, where they started the year 16-0 before losing to Arkansas on October 12th. An ominous trend for the Gators – no team that was the last to lose has made the NCAA Championship game since 2011, and no such team this decade has won an NCAA title.
Last Undefeated teams by season (record before first loss, date of first loss) – Final Season Result
- 2017 – Florida (14-0, October 15th)
- 2016 – Nebraska (14-0, October 1st) – Final 4
- 2015 – USC (22-0, October 30th) – Elite 8
- 2014 – Stanford (28-0, November 26th) – Final 4
- 2013 – Missouri (35-0, December 7th) – NCAA 2nd Round
- 2012 – Washington (16-0, October 13th) – Sweet 16
- 2011 – Illinois (21-0, October 22nd) – NCAA Runners-Up
- 2010 – Cal/Stanford (15-0/14-0, October 9th) – NCAA Runners-Up