- No. 1 USC def. No. 4 Florida State, 4-1
- 2017 Outrigger Hawai’i Invitational
- Queen’s Beach | Honolulu, Hawai’i
- Saturday, March 18, 2017
- Records: USC (10-0), Florida State (7-4)
HONOLULU – The top-ranked USC beach volleyball team (10-0) posted a 4-1 win over No. 4 Florida State (7-4) on Queen’s Beach sand in the 2017 Outrigger Hawai’i Invitational on Saturday, March 18. The Women of Troy stayed undefeated on the season and ran their streak of victories to 40 consecutive duals.
Seniors Kelly Claes and Sara Hughes picked up where they left off this morning and posted a quick 21-9, 21-17 win over Leigh Andrew and Sierra Sanchez for the first USC point of the dual. The seniors won their 83rd straight match together (102nd overall). Moments later, the Trojans went up, 2-0, when juniors Jenna Belton and Jo Kremer recorded a 21-11, 21-18 win over the FSU pair of Ali Eager and Hailey Luke at the No. 5 position.
Facing what was the Seminoles’ top pair just one day ago, seniors Sophie Bukovec and Allie Wheeler buckled down to notch a 21-18, 21-16 win over Vanessa Freire and Brooke Kuhlman at court two to put the Trojans’ dual victory into the books.
USC’s pairs dropped first sets at both courts three and four, but each match went to a third when the Trojans fought back to win set two. At four, sophomore Abril Bustamante and freshman Joy Dennis dropped their first, 21-11, but fired back for a 21-12 win in the second. A back-and-forth battle in the third set went FSU’s way in a 15-13 finish for Francesca Goncalves and Katie Horton.
At three, in the last match to finish, junior Terese Cannon and senior Nicolette Martin tag-teamed for a 14-21, 21-18, 15-13, win over Macy Jerger and Victoria Paranagua to make the final score 4-1 for the Women of Troy.
USC concludes the Hawai’i tournament with a match against No. 5-ranked host Hawai’i at 4:45 p.m. HT (7:45 p.m. PT). Live scores for the match can be found at HawaiiAthletics.com on the beach volleyball schedule page.
For more information on the two-time national champion USC beach volleyball team and a complete schedule, please visit USCTrojans.com and follow @USCBeach on Facebook, Twitter, Periscope, Instagram, and Snapchat.
- Kelly Claes/Sara Hughes (USC) def. Leigh Andrew/Sierra Sanchez (FSU); 21-9, 21-17
- Sophie Bukovec/Allie Wheeler (USC) def. Vanessa Freire/Brooke Kuhlman (FSU); 21-18, 21-16
- Terese Cannon/Nicolette Martin (USC) def. Macy Jerger/Victoria Paranagua (FSU); 14-21, 21-18, 15-13
- Francesca Goncalves/Katie Horton (FSU) def. Abril Bustamante/Joy Dennis (USC); 21-11, 12-21, 15-13
- Jenna Belton/Jo Kremer (USC) def. Ali Eager/Hailey Luke (FSU); 21-11, 21-18
Order of finish: 1, 5, 2*, 4, 3
News Courtesy USC Athletics