- Oct. 5, 2018
It was famine or feast in the Big Ten on Friday night, with Michigan State and Ohio State surviving against Indiana and Rutgers, while #12 Penn State and #17 Michigan won via sweep.
- Michigan State def. Indiana 3-2
- Ohio State def. Rutgers 3-2
- #12 Penn State def. Maryland 3-0
- #17 Michigan def. #23 Purdue 3-0
Michigan State def. Indiana 3-2 (25-20, 23-25, 25-23, 19-25, 15-13)
- Indiana outblocked MSU 19-10 and outhit the Spartans .219 to .204 in the loss. Michigan State meanwhile posted 20 more kills (74-54).
- MSU hit at a match-best .324 clip in Set 1 and hit .250 or better in all three sets it won.
- Alyssa Chronowski downed a match-high 25 kills on a .314 clip to guide the Spartans. Maddie Haggerty (14) and Naya Gros (13) followed. Haggerty rounded out a double-double with 14 digs, while Rebecka Poljan led the team’s net defense with five blocks.
- Breana Edwards posted 14 kills and four blocks, while hitting .355 to lead IU. Deyshia Lofton tacked on 12 kills and five blocks, while Kamryn Malloy managed nine putaways and five stuffs.
- The teams played to a 5-all tie in Set 5 before MSU pulled away with a 5-1 run, including a kill and a block by Poljan. Trailing by as many as five at 12-7, IU rallied to within one at 14-13 staving off two MSU match-point tries, before falling on a service error.
Ohio State def. Rutgers 3-2 (18-25, 25-19, 23-25, 25-18, 15-9)
- Ohio State moves to 11-6, 2-3 Big Ten; Rutgers falls to 6-12, 0-5 Big Ten
- Box Score
- Ohio State Recap / Rutgers Recap
- Ohio State hit just .067 in Set 1 and bounced back with a .414 effort in Set 2, before ending the match on a .385 clip.
- Rutgers hit .300 or better in the first two sets, before falling under .200 the rest of the way.
- Rutgers boasted a 13-7 lead in blocks, but trailed OSU in hitting efficiency (.235 to .219), kills (61-58) and aces (6-5).
- Lauren Witte paced Ohio State with 17 kills on a .577 hitting effort (17-2-26). Adria Powell (17) and Vanja Bukilic (13) followed. Bukilic put up a team-best four blocks.
- Sahbria McLetchie (14 kills, 11 digs) and Tali Marmen (11 kills, 11 digs) turned in double-double to lead Rutgers, while Merle Weidt added 15 kills and eight blocks, while hitting at a team-best .565 clip. Setter Inna Balyko notched 46 assists and 12 digs.
- Rutgers led 7-5 in Set 5, but Ohio State rallied with six straight points, including a kill and a block by Bukilic, to go up 11-7 and held on from there to win 15-9. The Buckeyes ended the match on a 3-0 run, capped by back-to-back Bukilic putaways.
Penn State def. Maryland 3-0 (25-16, 25-15, 25-16)
- Penn State moves to 12-3, 3-2 Big Ten; Maryland falls to 11-6, 2-3 Big Ten
- Box Score
- Penn State Recap / Maryland Recap
- Penn State dominated the stat sheet, besting Maryland in blocks (12-6), aces (4-1), kills (40-24) and outhitting the Terps .250 to .030.
- Maryland did not hit above .108 the entire match.
- Jonni Parker downed 11 kills on an errorless 21 swings, hitting .524 on the night. Taylor Leath added eight putaways and a team-best 12 digs. Kaitlyn Hord put up a team-best five blocks, while managing just three kills on a -.143 hitting night.
- Emma Schriner pounded down nine kills on a .368 clip for Maryland. Rainelle Jones added six putaways.
- 16 players saw court time for the Nittany Lions.
- The Nittany Lions built a 17-8 lead in Set 3 with 10 kills and six Maryland miscues. Tori Gorrell notched two kills and two blocks in a final 7-4 run to clinch the 25-16 win.
.@PennStateVBALL completes the sweep against Maryland in its first game back in Rec Hall since September 1st!#WeAre pic.twitter.com/1xyWnQcEDJ
— Penn State On BTN (@PennStateOnBTN) October 6, 2018
Michigan def. Purdue 3-0 (25-15, 25-16, 25-14)
- Michigan moves to 14-3, 3-2 Big Ten ; Purdue falls to 13-3, 2-3 Big Ten
- Box Score
- Michigan Recap / Purdue Recap
- Michigan hit at a season-best .435 clip, making just seven miscues in the match and bookending the night with clips of .500 and .545.
- Purdue struggled to find its offensive footing, managing just a .106 effort, including a match-high .125 effort in Set 3.
- The Wolverines led 44-29 in kills, 6-2 in aces and 6-2 in blocks to register their first win over a ranked team in 2018.
- Paige Jones (11), Carly Skjodt (11) and Sydney Wetterstrom (10) led the UM offense. Wetterstrom hit at a match-leading .833 clip (10-0-12), while Jones served up five of the team’s six aces.
- Blake Mohler was the lone Boilermaker to manage double-digit kills, posting 11 on a team-best .389 clip (11-4-18). Grace Cleveland followed with eight kills, while top hitter Sherridan Atkinson was held to three kills on a .063 effort.
- Michigan led by seven at 14-7 midway through Set 3 with help from six Purdue errors. The teams split the next 10 points, before the Wolverines closed out the night with a final 6-2 push. Jones served up two aces to put UM up 24-12 and Kayla Bair ended it three points later at 25-14.
Check out the 🎥 highlights from tonight’s 3-0 win over No. 14-ranked Purdue! #GoBlue pic.twitter.com/C8yYjAjYdk
— Michigan Volleyball (@umichvball) October 6, 2018