MISSOURI VALLEY CONFERENCE RUNDOWN
- October 8, 2018
- (RV) Northern Iowa def. Evansville 3-0
- Drake def. Indiana State 3-1
(RV) Northern Iowa remained undefeated in the Missouri Valley Conference with a sweep over Evansville Monday night. The Panthers moved to 4-3 on their home court with the victory. Elsewhere, Drake moved to 4-3 in the conference as the Bulldogs took down Indiana State in four sets.
*MATCH OF THE NIGHT*
DRAKE DEF. INDIANA STATE 3-1 (25-13, 14-25, 25-18, 25-19)
- Drake improves to 15-6, 4-3; Indiana State drops to 8-12, 1-7 in the Missouri Valley Conference.
- Knapp Center; Des Moines, Iowa
- Box score
- Drake Recap/Indiana State Recap
- Outside hitter Cathryn Cheek led Drake with an all-around performance. Cheek finished with a career-high 23 kills while hitting .408. She also added 14 digs.
- Fellow outside hitter Callan Holmes also finished with a double-double for the Bulldogs, notching 16 kills and 12 digs.
- Setter Paige Aspinwall tallied a career-high 53 assists for Drake.
- The Sycamores were led by outside hitter Laura Gross, who posted 14 kills and 20 digs. Middle blocker Cassie Kawa was efficient for Indiana State as she chipped in 10 kills and hit .529.
- Defensive specialist Melina Tedrow turned in 39 assists and 17 digs.
- Drake hit .238 as a team while Indiana State was not far behind at .225.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Drake moved above .500 in the Missouri Valley Conference with a four-set home win over Indiana State. All four sets were won by at least six points.
It was Drake that opened the match with a crooked set win. The Bulldogs ran out to a 6-1 lead early and never looked back. Drake closed out the set with a 6-2 spurt to grab the opener, 25-14.
Indiana State returned the favor in the second as the Sycamores jumped out to a 10-3 lead. Drake rallied and cut the deficit to one at 13-12, but then Indiana State was unstoppable the rest of the way. The Sycamores reeled off a 12-2 surge to take the set 25-13. Indiana State hit .379 in the set with just two errors while holding Drake to -.023 and forcing the Bulldogs into 12 attack errors.
Drake quickly put the second set behind it, scoring the first four points and running out to a 11-2 advantage to start the third set. Drake went on to take the set 25-18.
The fourth went back and forth before Drake took the lead at 15-14. The set remained close until the Bulldogs scored the final five points of the set to take the set and the match, 25-19.
(RV) NORTHERN IOWA DEF. EVANSVILLE 3-0 (25-22, 25-21, 25-21)
- Northern Iowa moves to 13-6, 7-0; Evansville falls to 7-14, 1-7
- McLeod Center; Cedar Falls, Iowa
- Box score
- Northern Iowa Recap/Evansville Recap
- Outside hitter Karlie Taylor led the Panthers with a match-high 20 kills while hitting .447. Outside hitter Jaydlin Seehase registered 11 kills and hit .562.
- Evansville was led by outside hitters, Rachel Tam, who finished with 14 kills, and Alondra Vasquez, who chipped in with 11 kills.
- Northern Iowa hit .364 while holding Evansville to .234.
- (RV) Northern Iowa hits the road to take on Southern Illinois at 7 p.m. ET Friday.
- Evansville hosts Indiana State at 7 p.m. ET Saturday.
- Drake travels to take on Missouri State at 8 p.m. ET Friday.
- Keep up to date on when your program is on TV by checking out VolleyMob’s TV Schedule.