- Marquette (RV) def. Xavier 3-1 (20-25, 25-22, 25-19, 25-13)
- Marquette moves to 10-5, 4-0 Big East; Xavier falls to 6-10, 1-2 Big East
- Cincinnati, Ohio
- Attendance: 765
- Box Score
CINCINNATI – Marquette bested Xavier in every statistical category in a four-set road win to remain undefeated in Big East play.
The Golden Eagles hit at a .319 clip, while holding Xavier to a .234 effort, including a .000 effort in the final stanza. Marquette also outdid the Musketeers in kills (57-52), aces (6-2) and blocks (5-3).
Sophomore outside hitter Allie Barber notched a match-high 23 kills and hit at a .377 clip to pace the Marquette attack. Freshman outside Hope Werch and junior outside Anna Haak followed with 10 kills apiece. Werch rounded out a double-double with 10 digs and two blocks, while Haak added seven saves. Freshman libero Martha Konovodoff pulled up a team-best 24 digs.
Freshman outside Maya Krause was tops among the Musketeers with 14 kills, while hitting at a match-high .565 clip. Junior right side Morgan Finn followed with 11 kills. Redshirt freshman middle Audrey Adams notched seven kills and added a team-high three blocks. Redshirt junior libero Meredith Klare recorded a team-best 16 digs, while junior defensive specialist Olivia Hart and junior setter McKena Estes tallied 10 apiece. Estes also dished out 20 assists to round out a double-double.
After a tie at 4, Xavier distanced itself with a 10-5 run. Five different players posted kills in the rally, with Finn, Samantha Foti and Adams recording two apiece. Marquette whittled the point margin to one at 17-16 with help from three Musketeer miscues and two Haak putaways. Xavier spread the ball around in a 5-0 run to make it 22-16. The Golden Eagles were within two against at 22-20, but committed two errors and gave up a kill to Krause at the home side closed out the 25-20 win.
The teams split the first 14 points of Set 2, before Xavier worked its way to a four-point advantage at 14-10. Two kills and a block by Adams lifted the Musketeers in the run. Down four at 17-13, Marquette turned things around with seven straight points, including three Barber putaways and a kill and a block by Jenna Rosenthal, which put the Golden Eagles ahead 20-17. The teams traded points over the final 10 serves, with a Haak putaway sealing the Marquette victory at 25-22.
Marquette scored four of the first five points in Set 3, but couldn’t pull away. Xavier caught up at 9-all with help from a 5-2 run and two Finn putaways. After a tie at 12, the Golden Eagles managed 10 of the next 14 points to push their lead to six at 22-16. Four Xavier miscues and two Rosenthal kills aided the effort. The Musketeers slowed things down by scoring three of the next four points, but a Haak kill and a Xavier hitting error gave Marquette the 25-19 win and the 2-1 lead in the match. The Golden Eagles hit .500 at a team in the stanza, committing just one hitting error in 33 swings.
Marquette finished the night with a .394 hitting effort, while taking advantage of six Xavier miscues and a .000 hitting percentage. The Golden Eagles raced out to an 11-2 lead and never looked back. Four Xavier miscues and four Barber kills aided the effort. The Musketeers cut the deficit to five at 11-5, but would get no closer. Marquette built the lead to 10 at 21-11 as Barber tacked on four more kills, then closed out the stanza with a 4-1 run, the last coming on a Haak putaway.
Courtesy: Marquette Athletics
The Marquette women’s volleyball team extended its win-streak to five matches as the Golden Eagles earned a 3-1 (20-25, 25-22, 25-19, 25-13) win at Xavier on Wednesday night.
Sophomore Allie Barber led the Golden Eagles (10-5, 4-0) with a match-high 23 kills and hit .377, while junior Anna Haak and freshman Hope Werch each connected on 10 kills, while Werch recorded 10 digs for her fourth double-double of the season.
Sophomore Lauren Speckman dished out 51 assists, which was her fifth match with 50-or-more assists this season, while Martha Konovodoff collected 24 digs, narrowly missing a career-best.
After dropping the first set to the Musketeers (6-10, 1-2), 25-20, Marquette bounced back in the second, overcoming a deficit in the middle and was able to pull a 25-22 victory. The third set was close through the beginning until the Golden Eagles broke a 12-12 tie with a 5-1 run and held an 18-14 lead after Jenna Rosenthal nailed a kill. Werch and Haak helped close out the set with a pair of kills, 25-19.
The fourth and final frame was all Golden Eagles as the squad bounded into a 7-1 advantage on serving from Rosenthal and held a 20-10 lead after Barber connected on a kill. MU took a final score of 25-13 to win the math in four sets.
As a team the Golden eagles combined to hit .319, while Xavier hit .234 led by Maya Krause with 14 kills.
Marquette will return to Milwaukee and host league travel partner DePaul on Saturday, Sept. 30 at 6 p.m. CT.
Courtesy: Xavier Athletics
Freshman Maya Krause posted a season-high 14 kills in Wednesday night’s four-set loss (25-20, 22-25, 19-25, 13-25) to Marquette.
The Musketeers dropped to 6-10 (1-2 BIG EAST), while the Golden Eagles won their fifth straight match – improving to 10-5 (4-0 BIG EAST).
• Maya Krause posted a season-high 14 kills to go along with a .565 hitting percentage. Morgan Finnwas the only other player with 10 or more kills as the junior right-side hitter added a season-high 11 kills. Audrey Adams and Moriah Hopkins both chipped in seven kills.
• McKena Estes recorded her first double-double of the year, posting a team-high 20 assists to go along with 10 digs. Mackenzi Humm added 13 assists.
• Meredith Klare posted a team-high 16 digs, while Olivia Hart chipped in a career-high 10 digs.
• Xavier led by as many as six (13-7) in the opening set before Marquette used a 9-4 run to get within one and force a Xavier timeout. The Musketeers closed the set by scoring eight of the final 12 points, winning the set, 25-20.
• Maya Krause had five kills with a .714 hitting percentage. The Musketeers posted their highest hitting percentage (.385) of the night in the first frame.
• Set two had four ties with the final tie at 17-17. Marquette used an 8-5 run to close the set and even the match at one. Maya Krause and Morgan Finn combined to post seven kills in 16 attempts.
• The third set featured five ties. With the score knotted at 12, the Golden Eagles used an 8-3 run to take a 20-15 lead they would never relinquish. Marquette took a 2-1 advantage in the set with a 25-19 victory.
• Xavier hit .324 in the set with Maya Krause posting a .625 hitting percentage and five kills.
• Marquette jumped out to an early 11-2 lead before pulling away for the 25-13 win. The Golden Eagles hit .394 in the set and got nine kills from Allie Barber.
• The Musketeers hit the road for back-to-back BIG EAST matches at Villanova (Sept. 29) and Georgetown (Sept. 30).