STANFORD, Calif. – Stanford improved to 9-4 on the season with two wins on Friday against San Francisco and San Jose State at the Stanford Sand Volleyball Stadium.
“I love windy days because there are few conditions that demand your full attention than a gusty, windy day,” said first-year head coach Andrew Fuller. “ While there were some trends throughout each match, there were heaps of weird, scramble plays, and I think those are huge moments for the student-athletes to fully enjoy what it means to play beach volleyball.”
Against San Francisco, the Cardinal (9-4 overall, 1-1 Pac-12) swept all five matches, 2-0, on its way to the eighth win of the season. The Cardinal took a 2-0 lead over the Dons (0-12) courtesy of the No. 4 and No. 5 pairs. No. 5 Courtney Bowen and Kat Anderson scored the opening point, winning 21-9, 21-9. Catherine Raquel and Shannon Richardson doubled the lead with a 21-17, 21-12 win in the No. 4 match.
The dual was clinched when Ivana Vanjak and Payton Chang secured a 21-11, 21-11 win in the No. 2 match. No. 1 Kathryn Plummer and Jenna Gray made it 4-0 with a 25-23, 21-12 decision before Morgan Hentz and Caitlin Keefe made it 5-0 with a 21-16, 22-20 win in the No. 3 match.
Stanford got it started against San Jose State (5-8) with two 2-0 sweeps at the No. 4 and No. 5 matches. Bowen and Anderson earned the point with a 21-14, 21-12 decision, while Raquel and Richardson won, 21-19, 21-17.
Hentz and Keefe clinched the dual with a 21-19, 21-16 win at No. 3 – the all-freshman duo finished the day 2-0 in its first action at No. 3. No. 2 Vanjak and Chang made it 4-0 with a 21-16, 21-19, before No. 1 Plummer and Gray lost, 21-16, 16-21, 16-14, to make the final score 4-1.
Stanford returns to action on Tuesday when it hosts California live on Pac-12 Networks. Former Stanford standout and four-time Olympic medalist Kerri Walsh Jennings will be in attendance, with the first serve set for 4 p.m. PT. Walsh Jennings, a 2000 graduate of Stanford with a degree in American Studies, will sign autographs at 3:15 p.m. before a short ceremony in her honor inside the stadium.
Stanford 5, San Francisco 0
- Plummer/Gray (Stan) def. Buvarp-Lavik/Reed (USF) 25-23, 21-12
- Vanjak/Chang (Stan) def. Osham/Aroujo (USF) 21-11, 21-11
- Hentz/Keefe (Stan) def. Miller/Lowry (USF) 21-16, 22-20
- Raquel/Richardson (Stan) def. Levinson/Ashman (USF) 21-17, 21-12
- Bowen/Anderson (Stan) def. Green/Koutsoukos (USF) 21-9, 21-9
Stanford 4, San Jose State 1
- Meehan/Scholl (SJSU) def. Plummer/Gray (Stan) 21-16, 17-21, 17-15
2. Vanjak/Chang (Stan) def. Gama/Sam (SJSU) 21-16, 21-19
3. Hentz/Keefe (Stan) def. Gavio/Andrade (SJSU) 21-19, 21-16
4. Raquel/Richardson (Stan) def. Golbeck/Zdroik (SJSU) 21-19, 21-17
5. Bowen/Anderson (Stan) def. Avery/Hirai (SJSU) 21-14, 21-12
Exh. Robinson/Reistod (SJSU) def. Red-Horse Mohl/DiSanto (Stan) 21-11, 21-16
Volleyball News Courtesy: Stanford Athletics