Courtesy: Mountain West Conference
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – UNLV’s Mariena Hayden was selected as the Mountain West Offensive Player of the Week for a Conference best third consecutive week, while Wyoming’s Reed Copeland earned the MW Defensive Player of the Week honors for contests through Sept. 23. Hayden joins the ranks of 14 former MW student-athletes to win the award three or more times in a single season, while Copeland secures the weekly honor for the third time in her career.
OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
MARIENA HAYDEN, UNLV
Sophomore, Outside Hitter, Belle Plaine, Minnesota / Belle Plaine HS
- During the two-win weekend against Boise State and Utah State, Hayden posted a pair of double-doubles and led the team in kills (43), kills per set (6.14), hitting percentage (.382) and added five aces.
- Against the Broncos, hit at a .520 clip with 17 kills, 14 digs, three aces and an assist. In the first two sets, she had at least six kills and six digs in each set and hit .750 in the first frame alone.
- In a 3-1 win versus Utah State, notched a career-best 26 kills with an attack percentage of .314. She tallied 13 digs and two aces.
- This weekend’s performance led Hayden to eclipse the 100 service aces mark. She is 38 away from cracking the top five all-time in Mountain West history.
ICYMI: @Marienahayden was named the @MW_OlySports Offensive Player of the Week for the 3⃣rd straight week! The Minnesota native has made #MWVB history being named to the award 3⃣ consecutive weeks! #UNLVvball 🏐 #BEaREBEL
📄: https://t.co/XcDeblTkx2 pic.twitter.com/3n8yYhwYYj
— UNLV Volleyball (@UNLVvball) September 24, 2018
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
REED COPELAND, WYOMING
Senior, Middle Blocker, Federal Way, Washington / Todd Beamer HS
- This weekend, Copeland tallied 17 blocks and 10 kills in victories against San José State and Nevada. The Wyoming defense tallied 26 blocks in total during the weekend.
- The senior posted an average of 2.83 blocks per set and 1.67 kills per set during the weekend.
- She recorded 11 blocks in the win over Nevada, while the Cowgirls had 12 as a team. She added six kills with an attack percentage of .333.
Another MW Player of the Week honor for @reedalea, who racked up 1️⃣7️⃣ blocks along with 1️⃣0️⃣ kills this weekend.
📝 https://t.co/UzoX2poTqG#OneWyoming #GoWyo pic.twitter.com/SkX8mLeoVD
— Wyoming Cowgirl Volleyball (@WYO_Volleyball) September 24, 2018
2018 Mountain West Offensive Players of the Week
Aug. 27 – Jackie McBride, So., MB, Wyoming
Sept. 3 – Kayla Afoa, So., OH, Nevada
Sept. 10 – Mariena Hayden, So., OH, UNLV
Sept. 17 – Mariena Hayden, So., OH, UNLV
Sept. 24 – Mariena Hayden, So., OH, UNLV
2018 Mountain West Defensive Players of the Week
Aug. 27 – Reagan Leonard, So., L, Fresno State
Sept. 3 – Jessica Donahue, Fr., MB, Boise State
Sept. 10 – Reed Copeland, Sr., MB, Wyoming
Sept. 17 – Elsa Descamps, Sr., MB, UNLV
Sept. 24 – Reed Copeland, Sr., MB, Wyoming