MISSOURI VALLEY CONFERENCE ROUNDUP
- September 24, 2018
- Loyola Chicago def. Missouri State 3-0
- Northern Iowa def. Indiana State 3-0
- Drake def. Evansville 3-1
- Valparaiso def. Southern Illinois 3-0
Monday night in the Missouri Valley Conference stayed true to form as all four home teams defended their courts successfully. Loyola Chicago swept Missouri State and Valparaiso swept Southern Illinois to remain tied atop the standings at 3-0. Northern Iowa sits just a half game back after it swept Indiana State and Drake picked up its first conference win, knocking off the Evansville Purple Aces 3-1.
*MATCH OF THE NIGHT*
VALPARAISO DEF. SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 3-0 (25-21, 25-14, 25-18)
- Valparaiso improves to 16-2, 3-0; Southern Illinois drops to 4-12, 0-3 MVC.
- Athletics Recreation Center (ARC); Valparaiso, Indiana
- Attendance: 563
- Box score
- Southern Illinois Recap/Valparaiso Recap
- Valparaiso has now won 10 straight matches and is off to its best start in school history.
- The Ramblers were led by middle hitter Sydney Bronner’s nine kills. Bronner hit .316 on the night. Libero Rylee Cookerly led a well-balanced defensive effort with 17 digs.
- Southern Illinois was led by opposite hitter Maggie Nedoma, who finished with 12 kills.
- The Salukis were held to a dismal .053 hitting percentage and had four players finish with a negative clip. Despite the sweep, Valparaiso wasn’t much better, finishing at .169 for the match.
Valparaiso continued its impressive season Monday night. The Crusaders swept Southern Illinois to win their 10th straight match overall and remain tied for the lead in the Missouri Valley Conference. The 16-2 start to the season is the best in program history.
In the first set, the visiting Salukis gave Valparaiso all it could handle. After a back and forth set, the Crusaders broke free from an 18-18 tie with a 5-0 run to take control of the set. Southern Illinois would score the next three, but Valparaiso would get the final two and the first set, 25-21.
The Crusaders stepped on the gas in the second set, as they raced out to a 13-8 advantage. Valparaiso kept the pressure on and pushed the lead to 10 at 20-10 before closing out the second with a 5-3 run.
The third set was all Crusaders as they pushed their lead to 20-11 before the Salukis rattled off a mini 4-0 run of their own. The run would be too little too late as Valparaiso finished off Southern Illinois 25-18.
LOYOLA DEF. MISSOURI STATE 3-0 (25-22, 25-18, 25-20)
- Loyola Chicago moves to 11-4, 3-0; Missouri State falls to 7-9, 0-3 in the MVC.
- Gentile Arena; Chicago, Illinois
- Attendance: 202
- TV: ESPN3
- Box score
- Missouri State Recap/Loyola Recap
- Loyola was led by middle blocker Elle Van Grinsven and outside hitter Quinn Spieker, who each finished with 11 kills. Defensive specialist Alex Nunez led the Ramblers with a match-high 17 digs.
- Loyola hit .262 as a team, while limiting Missouri State to just .107.
- Middle blocker Laynie Dake led Missouri State with 10 kills while hitting .304.
NORTHERN IOWA DEF. INDIANA STATE 3-0 (25-17, 25-21, 25-18)
- Northern Iowa moves to 8-6, 2-0; Indiana State drops to 7-8, 0-3 MVC.
- McLeod Center; Cedar Falls, Iowa
- Attendance: 2,060
- Box score
- Indiana State Recap/Northern Iowa Recap
- Northern Iowa now leads the all-time series, 60-5 and is a perfect 32-0 at home.
- The Panthers’ three-headed attack of outside hitter Karlie Taylor (14) and middle hitters Kate Busswitz (12) and Piper Thomas (13) finished with double-digit kills, totaling 39/43 total kills.
- UNI hit .231 as a team, while holding the Sycamores to a .111 effort.
- Outside hitter Rhiannon Morozoff led Indiana State with five kills. The Sycamores only registered 23 kills as a team.
— UNI-TV 📺 (@Panther_media1) September 25, 2018
Some photos from tonight as the Panthers moved to 2-0 in @MVCsports play. #UNIFight pic.twitter.com/8Tvd3w3z3z
— UNIVolleyball (@UNIVolleyball) September 25, 2018
DRAKE DEF. EVANSVILLE 3-1 (25-11, 17-25, 25-12, 25-20)
- Drake is now 12-4, 1-1; Evansville plummets to 6-10, 0-3 in the MVC.
- Knapp Center, Des Moines, Iowa
- Attendance: 251
- TV: ESPN3
- Box score
- Evansville Recap/Drake Recap
- Drake was led by outside hitter Cathryn Cheek’s 17 kills. Fellow outside hitter Grace Schofield tallied 11 and middle blocker Natalie Fry chipped in 10 kills.
- Outside hitter Rachel Tam led the way for Evansville with 14 kills while outside hitter Mildrelis Rodriguez added 11.
- Drake hit .344 as a team, while limiting the visiting Aces to .147.
- Evansville heads to Illinois State at 8 p.m. ET Friday.
- Drake is on the road at Valparaiso at 8 p.m. ET Friday.
- Southern Illinois heads to Missouri State at 8 p.m. ET Friday.
- Indiana State is on the road against Bradley at 8 p.m. ET Friday.
- Be sure to check out VolleyMob’s latest TV Schedule to catch your program in action.