WEST COAST CONFERENCE RUNDOWN
- October 20, 2018
- #1 BYU def. Pepperdine 3-0
- San Diego def. Loyola Marymount 3-0
- Portland def. Gonzaga 3-0
- Pacific def. San Francisco 3-1
- Saint Mary’s def. Santa Clara 3-0
In West Coast Conference play, #1 BYU remained undefeated with a sweep of Pepperdine. San Diego, Portland and Saint Mary’s also earned sweeps. San Diego swept Loyola Marymount, Portland swept Gonzaga on the road, and Saint Mary’s picked up a road sweep at Santa Clara. At War Memorial Gymnasium in San Francisco, Pacific dropped the opening set, but came back to beat the Dons in four sets.
*MATCH OF THE DAY*
PACIFIC DEF. SAN FRANCISCO 3-1 (20-25, 25-19, 25-17-25-9)
- Pacific moves to 8-13, 3-7; San Francisco drops to 8-13, 1-9 in the WCC.
- War Memorial Gymnasium; San Francisco, California
- Box score
- San Francisco Recap/Pacific Recap
- Outside hitter Riley Ramsey led the Tigers with a match-high 20 kills. Fellow outside hitter Kaitlyn Lines added 15 kills and outside hitter Riley Patterson chipped in 13 kills. Patterson also contributed 16 digs.
- San Francisco was led by outside hitter Lena Bondar, who tallied 9 kills.
- Pacific hit .280 as a team and held San Francisco to .124.
HOW IT HAPPENED
The first set was a back and forth affair early. Trailing 17-16, San Francisco used a 6-0 run to take a 22-17 lead. The Dons then closed out the Tigers, 25-20 to take the opening set.
Pacific responded by controlling the second set. Already staked to a 12-9 lead, the Tigers used a 6-0 surge to go up 18-9 en route to a 25-19 win.
The Tigers then went up 8-3 early into the third and cruised to a 25-17 victory.
Pacific took control of the fourth set with a 6-0 run to go in front 13-5. The tigers then closed out the match on an 8-0 spurt to run away with the set, 25-9.
TIGERS WIN!! Riley Ramsey leads Tigers to a stellar 3-1 finish against @USFDonsVB. #JoinTheRoar pic.twitter.com/7Hnr4Zvphm
— Pacific Volleyball (@PacificVball) October 20, 2018
#1 BYU DEF. PEPPERDINE 3-0 (26-24, 25-13, 25-8)
- BYU improves to 20-0, 10-0; Pepperdine falls to 13-7, 7-3 in the WCC.
- Smith Fieldhouse; Provo, Utah
- Box score
- BYU Recap/Pepperdine Recap
- Outside hitter Roni Jones Perry led the way for the Cougars. Perry posted a double-double with 12 kills (.455) and 14 digs. Outside hitter McKenna Miller notched 10 kills for BYU.
- Pepperdine was led by outside hitter Hannah Frohling‘s 9 kills.
- BYU committed just 9 attack errors while hitting .371. Pepperdine made 22 attack errors and hit just .035.
We'll never get tired of when @haddocklyndie pulls this type of play#BYUWVB #GoCougs pic.twitter.com/f2AIhSRbpC
— BYU Women’s Volleyball (@BYUwvolleyball) October 20, 2018
SAN DIEGO DEF. LOYOLA MARYMOUNT 3-0 (25-20, 25-21, 25-16)
- San Diego improves to 11-9, 8-2; Loyola Marymount drops to 15-6, 5-5 in the WCC.
- Jenny Craig Pavilion; San Diego, California
- Box score
- San Diego Recap/LMU Recap
- The Toreros were led by opposite hitter Cami May and outside hitter Katie Lukes, who each tallied 12 kills. Middle blocker Addie Picha was a force at the net, as she contributed 6 blocks.
- Opposite hitter Sarah Kovac led the way for Loyola Marymount, tallying 10 kills.
- San Diego hit .333 for the match while LMU only mustered a .210 hitting percentage.
S2 | Picha/Wiblin BLOCK! Toreros take set two 25-21!#GoToreros pic.twitter.com/WqapNn2tyc
— USD Volleyball (@USDVolleyball) October 20, 2018
PORTLAND DEF. GONZAGA 3-0 (25-21, 25-19, 25-17)
- Portland moves to 16-5, 4-5; Gonzaga dips to 6-14, 3-6 in the WCC.
- Martin Centre; Spokane, Washington
- Box score
- Portland Recap/Gonzaga Recap
- The Pilots were led by middle blocker Katie Barker, who tallied 11 kills. Outside hitter Izzy Guzik and middle blocker Shayla Hoeft each added 10 kills.
- Gonzaga was led by outside hitter Chapin Gray, who notched 6 kills.
- Portland hit .313 for the match and held Gonzaga to just .120.
VB: PILOTS WIN! The Pilots record their 10th sweep of the season, defeating the Gonzaga Bulldogs in three sets! #GoPilots #WeArePortland pic.twitter.com/iR2RkJZhsZ
— Portland Pilots (@PortlandPilots) October 20, 2018
SAINT MARY’S DEF. SANTA CLARA 3-0 (25-21, 25-16, 25-20)
- Saint Mary’s improves to 15-5, 7-3; Santa Clara stumbles to 6-16, 1-9 in the WCC.
- Leavey Center; Santa Clara, California
- Box score
- Saint Mary’s Recap/Santa Clara Recap
- The Gaels were led outside hitter Sarah Chase, who tallied 13 kills, 7 digs, and 4 blocks. Libero Lindsey Knudsen chipped in 12 kills and hit .478.
- Outside hitterMichelle Shaffer led Santa Clara with 10 kills (.269) and 10 digs.
- Saint Mary’s compiled a .366 hitting percentage while holding Santa Clara to .253.
SWEEP!!!! Saint Mary's sweeps Santa Clara to stretch their winning streak to 4! Crash Parker records a 26 assist, 10 dig double-double and the Gaels record a season-high, .366 hitting percentage. #GaelsRise #GaelsWoo pic.twitter.com/HYCc7p24P6
— Saint Mary's Volleyball (@SMC_Volleyball) October 20, 2018
- #1 BYU hosts Portland at 10 p.m. ET Thursday.
- Pepperdine hosts Santa Clara at 10 p.m. ET Thursday.
- Gonzaga welcomes San Diego at 9 p.m. ET Thursday.
- Pacific hits the road to face Saint Mary’s at 10 p.m. ET Thursday.
- San Francisco heads south to Los Angeles to take on Loyola Marymount at 10 p.m. ET Thursday.
- Keep up to date on when your program is on TV by checking out VolleyMob’s TV Schedule.