Courtesy: Mountain West Conference
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – Wyoming’s Jackie McBride was tabbed the Mountain West Offensive Player of the Week, while Fresno State’s Reagan Leonard earned MW Defensive Player of the Week honors for matches played through August 25. It marks the first time the pair of sophomores received the Conference’s weekly award.
OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
JACKIE MCBRIDE, WYOMING
Sophomore, Middle Blocker, Aurora, Colorado / Rangeview HS
- Played a key role in the upset of No. 15 Colorado, notching five of Wyoming’s 11 kills in the fifth set to win 15-13 and defeat the Buffaloes 3-2. This was the Cowgirls’ first win over a nationally-ranked opponent since 2015 (No. 14 Ohio State).
- Against Colorado, McBride finished with 14 kills and a hitting percentage of .417, while adding five blocks.
- On the way to an undefeated weekend, the Cowgirls earned three-set sweeps against North Florida and Oral Roberts. Against Oral Roberts, she recorded eight kills on eight attacks with no errors for a perfect hitting percentage. McBride would add an assist and six blocks to her performance.
- For the weekend, the sophomore hit .442 with 26 kills on 43 attacks.
- McBride was named MVP of the Rumble in the Rockies tournament.
✔ 2️⃣6️⃣ kills on the weekend with a .4️⃣4️⃣2️⃣ hitting percentage.
✔ 5️⃣ kills in the fifth set against No. 15 Colorado.
✔ Rumble in the Rockies tournament MVP.@Jackie_McBride_ is your MW Player of the Week!
📝 https://t.co/oH5XkM1Ugv #GoWyo pic.twitter.com/duP42qqSGe
— Wyoming Cowgirl Volleyball (@wyo_volleyball) August 27, 2018
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
REAGAN LEONARD, FRESNO STATE
Sophomore, Libero, Glendale, Arizona / Centennial HS
- In her first career starts, notched 80 digs in 14 sets and was named MVP of the EIU Panther Invitational.
- Leonard broke the Fresno State single-match program record with 38 digs in its 3-1 win over Eastern Illinois. She fell one dig shy of tying for fifth-place in the Conference record book for digs in a single match.
- Averaged 5.71 digs per set during the weekend and had 52 serve receptions with no errors.
- During the Bulldogs’ three-win weekend, she added nine assists and one service ace.
- Fresno State has started 3-0 for the second time in the last three seasons.
Reagan Leonard named MW Defensive Player of the Week! #GoDogs
📰 https://t.co/2e4t0SA2js pic.twitter.com/kXg7gMGTT0
— Fresno State VB (@FresnoStateVB) August 27, 2018