Russian Super League
Round 2 of Russia’s Super League saw the competition’s best teams take their second win of the tournament in different fashion. While Zenit Kazan and Novosibirsk struggled mightily without its stars, still resting from the WCH, Belgorod took an easy win as it aims to find its post-Tetyukhin identity. Below you’ll find a recap of all of the round’s action:
|Dinamo (Moscow)||Zenit-Kazan (Kazan)||2: 3 (20:25, 25:23, 25:19, 21:25, 13:15)||Stats|
|Kuzbass (Kemerovo)||Yaroslavich (Yaroslavl)||3: 0 (25:23, 25:16, 25:13)||Stats|
|Gazprom-Yugra (Surgut)||Lokomotiv (Novosibirsk)||2: 3 (19:25, 25: 23, 19:25, 25:21, 11:15||Stats|
|Zenit (St. Petersburg)||Yugra-Samotlor (Nizhnevartovsk)||3: 0 (25:12, 25:18, 25:20)||Stats|
|Nova (Novokuibyshevsk)||Ural (Ufa)||2: 3 (21:25, 25:14, 25:19, 18:25, 7:15)||Stats|
|Dinamo-LO (Leningrad region)||Belogorie (Belgorod)||0: 3 (23:25, 17:25, 23:25)||Stats|
|Yenisei (Krasnoyarsk)||Torch (New Urengoy)||1: 3 (17:25, 26:24, 17:25, 21:25)||Stats|
Story-lines to watch
- Still no Earvin Ngapeth, Matt Anderson, and Alexander Butko for Zenit Kazan, who had to sweat profusely to hand Dynamo Moscow a 3-2 loss. Maxim Mikhailov saved the day with 27 points on 23/37 hitting (62%).
- Gyorgy Grozer continued to show Zenit St. Petesburg he was worthy of the team’s investment, this time by netting 19 points in only 3 sets of play.
- Nova’s newcomer Jordan Bisset, who had irregular efforts last year with Brazil’s Minas, had a monster of a game with 21 points and 6 aces in his team’s 5-set win against Ural
- Paul Carroll followed his nice debut with Yenisei with yet another game, netting 19 points on 60% hitting in his team’s win against Torch.
- Erik Shoji scored a positive reception in 68% of his passes
Best Stats of the round
- Zenit Kazan’s Maxim Mikhailov led all of the round’s scorers with 27 points on 23/37 hitting (62%)
- Nova’s Jordan Bisset led all servers with 6 aces
- Nova’s Vladimir Snymchikov scored 8 blocks
Zenit St. Petesburg’s coach Alexander Klimkin stating the obvious about when your team signs one of the world’s best hitters:
“The actions by Grozer? Well, we acquired him so that he would power and variability to our team’s offensive game. You can see for yourself that at the moment he is delivering, he has joined the team perfectly. I am pleased with his game.”
|3||Zenit St. Petersburg||2||2||0||06:00||6|