BIG 12 RUNDOWN
- October 13, 2018
- #24 Baylor def. West Virginia 3-2
- Kansas def. Texas Tech 3-0
- #6 Texas def. Oklahoma 3-2
- Iowa State def. TCU 3-0
Facing tough road matches, both #24 Baylor and #6 Texas survived five set matches Saturday afternoon. The Bears overcame a two set deficit to beat West Virginia and the Longhorns outlasted the Sooners in Norman. Iowa State held serve on its home court with a sweep of TCU and Kansas won its ninth straight match to remain unbeaten in conference play.
*MATCH OF THE NIGHT*
#24 BAYLOR DEF. WEST VIRGINIA 3-2 (22-25, 13-25, 25-22, 25-20, 17-15)
- Baylor improves to 12-6, 4-3 Big 12; West Virginia falls to 9-10, 1-5 Big 12.
- WVU Coliseum;Morgantown, West Virginia
- Box score
- Baylor Recap/West Virginia Recap
- Sophomore outside hitter Yossiana Pressley and middle blocker Shelly Fanning led the Bears offensively. Pressley finished with 21 kills and 20 digs, while Fanning chipped in 20 kills.
- Outside hitter Katelyn Evans led the Mountaineers with 19 kills. Fellow outside hitter Kristin Lux and middle blocker Briana Lynch both notched 13 kills.
- Despite getting the win, Baylor was outhit by West Virginia (.246-.226).
HOW IT HAPPENED
Baylor stormed back from a two set deficit to stun West Virginia in five sets Saturday afternoon in Morgantown.
The Bears were in great position to take the opening set as they led 18-10. But the Mountaineers closed the gap and used a 7-0 run to turn a 22-18 deficit into a 25-22 win.
West Virginia came out of the gate on fire in the second set, as it took the first seven points and cruised all the way to a 25-13 win.
The Mountaineers looked poised to take the sweep as they led 21-19 in the third, but Baylor had one final push to try to extend the match. The Bears came through with a 6-1 run to claim the third, 25-22.
The fourth set was back and forth, but again Baylor closed strong with a 6-1 spurt to take the set, 25-20 and force a fifth set.
West Virginia earned a match point try at 15-14 in the fifth, but three straight scores by the Bears, including a final kill from Shelly Fanning, sent Baylor home victorious.
Down 2-0 on the road, but we stuck together and battled back. Heading home with the dub 💪#SicWVU #SicEm #NCAAVB #SHINE pic.twitter.com/pLWzpOYMaQ
— Baylor Volleyball (@BaylorVBall) October 13, 2018
#6 TEXAS DEF. OKLAHOMA 3-2 (25-23, 20-25, 25-18, 23-25, 15-9)
- Texas improves to 11-4, 6-1; Oklahoma dips to 11-8, 3-4 in the Big 12.
- McCasland Field House;Norman, Oklahoma
- Box score
- Texas Recap/Oklahoma Recap
- The Longhorns were led by outside hitter Micaya White, who tallied 17 kills. Middle blocker Morgan Johnson added 12 and outside hitter Logan Eggleston chipped in 11.
- Texas middle blocker Brionne Butler was a force at the net, finishing with 10 blocks.
- Oklahoma was led by outside hitter Alyssa Enneking, who notched 20 kills. Middle blocker Paige Anderson added 10 for the Sooners.
- Texas hit .231 and limited Oklahoma .102 including negative marks in the final three sets of the match.
12 kills, .524 pic.twitter.com/1yrrx7unQ8
— Texas Volleyball (@TexasVolleyball) October 14, 2018
KANSAS DEF. TEXAS TECH 3-0 (25-22, 25-22, 25-19)
- Kansas moves to 13-4, 6-0; Texas Tech falls to 15-6, 4-3 in the Big 12.
- United Supermarkets Arena; Lubbock, Texas
- Box score
- Kansas Recap/Texas Tech Recap
- Outside hitter Ashley Smith led the Jayhawks with nine kills while fellow outside hitter Jada Burse and right side hitter Gabby Simpson each registered seven.
- Outside hitter Emily Hill led the Red Raiders with 15 kills. Outside hitter Brooke Kanas chipped in 12 for Texas Tech.
- Kansas hit .255 as a team while holding Texas Tech to .096.
- The Jayhawks have now won nine straight matches and sit alone atop the Big 12 standings.
Birthday girl @gsimp133 seals up set No. 2 for #KUvball pic.twitter.com/YfDiIOVScs
— Kansas Volleyball (@KUVolleyball) October 13, 2018
IOWA STATE DEF. TCU 3-0 (25-15, 25-21, 25-16)
- Iowa State improves to 10-10, 3-4; TCU drops to 11-7, 3-4 in the Big 12.
- Hilton Coliseum;Ames, Iowa
- Attendance: 2,524
- Box score
- Iowa State Recap/TCU Recap
- Outside hitter Jess Schaben led Iowa State with a double-double. Schaben finished with 12 kills and 10 digs.
- TCU middle blocker Anna Walsh was the focal point offensively, as she tallied 11 kills.
- Iowa State hit .339 as a team and held TCU to .118.
Solo block by Josie Herbst! #Cyclones lead 21-13 in set 3! pic.twitter.com/MoTQ3hh1OP
— Cyclone Volleyball (@CycloneVB) October 13, 2018
- #24 Baylor takes on Kansas State at 3 p.m. ET Saturday.
- #6 Texas hosts Texas Tech at 2 p.m. ET Saturday.
- Oklahoma welcomes West Virginia at 2:30 p.m. ET Saturday.
- TCU hosts West Virginia at 9 p.m. ET Thursday.
- Iowa State plays at Kansas at 2 p.m. ET Saturday.
- Kansas remains on the road as it takes on Kansas State at 9 p.m. ET Wednesday.
- Keep up to date on when your program is on TV by checking out VolleyMob’s TV Schedule.