- #25 San Diego def. St. Mary’s 3-0 (25-17, 25-19, 25-18)
- San Diego moves to 12-4 overall, 5-1 WCC
- St. Mary’s drops to 5-11 overall, 1-6 WCC
- Moraga, California
- Attendance: 225
- Box Score
- VolleyMob Top 25 (Week 7)
The #25 San Diego Toreros hit at .344 clip en route to a straight-set victory over the St. Mary Gaels in West Coast Conference action.
The Toreros were led offensively by senior outside Jayden Kennedy, who notched 12 kills on .544 hitting. Junior middle Addie Picha fell just short of a double-double (9 kills, 9 blocks), while senior libero Lizzy Tardieu recorded 13 digs and senior setter Kristen Gengenbacher dished out 34 assists.
For the Gaels, junior outside Lindsey Knudsen had a team-high nine kills to go with six digs, two aces and one block, while senior setter Mary Hernandez had 21 assists.
In the first set, the teams stayed close early until San Diego went on a nine-point run to take a lead they wouldn’t relinquish on their way to a 25-17 win. The Gaels kept things close again in the second until the Toreros went on an eight-point run, eventually taking the frame 25-19.
The third set all San Diego, with freshman outside Roxie Wiblin recording five kills during another nine-point run. Both set and match ended on Kennedy’s 12th kill of the match.
San Diego hosts Gonzaga, while the Gaels welcome Pacific to the McKeon Pavilion on Saturday.
Another W on the road & another sweep!https://t.co/33t6ak7YXG#USDWVB #RoadWarriors #UnfinishedBusiness pic.twitter.com/L4krxPqRQK
— USD Volleyball (@USDVolleyball) October 7, 2017
Courtesy: San Diego Athletics
Toreros earn sweep at Saint Mary’s
It was the Toreros’ 10th sweep of the season and pushed their WCC and road record to 5-1
MORAGA, Calif. – The No. 19 USD Volleyball team (12-4, 5-1) swept Saint Mary’s 3-0 on the road Saturday afternoon. They hit .344 as a team, their second highest hitting in a match this season, on their way to a 25-17, 25-19, 25-18 win. It was the Toreros’ 10th sweep of the season and pushed their WCC and road record to 5-1.
Jayden Kennedy once again led the Toreros in kills, totaling 12 kills on an impressive .550 hitting percentage. Addie Picha added nine kills on a .615 hitting percentage and had six block assists and three solo blocks. Lizzy Tardieu had a team-high 13 digs and Kristen Gengenbacher recorded 34 assists.
The Toreros held the Gaels to a hitting percentage of .144 and had 35 digs to Saint Mary’s 24. The Toreros hit .400 in the first set, while the Gaels were held to a .100 clip.
The Gaels hung with the Toreros in the beginning of the second set and were tied 9-9, but USD then went on an 8-0 run and never looked back on their way to a 25-19 win.
In the third and final set, USD jumped out to a 5-1 lead. Saint Mary’s would close to deficit to one point (8-7), but then the Toreros went on a 9-0 run. USD would hold the Gaels to a .111 hitting percentage in the third set.
The Gaels were led by Lindsey Knudsen’s nine kills. Mary Hernandez had 21 assists and Emily Bible had a team-high eight digs.
The Toreros return home for a pair of matches next week, hosting Gonzaga on Thursday at 7:00 p.m. and Portland on Saturday at noon. Both matches will be streamed on TheW.tv
Courtesy: St. Mary’s Athletics
#19 SAN DIEGO SWEEPS SAINT MARY’S
The No. 19-Ranked Toreros Hit .344 And Had 10 Blocks In An All-Around Performance Saturday.
MORAGA, Calif. — The Saint Mary’s women’s volleyball team faced its second consecutive ranked opponent on Saturday afternoon in No. 19 San Diego, but could not contain the Toreros’ high-powered offense as the Toreros won 3-0 (25-17, 25-19, 25-18) in a West Coast Conference matchup at McKeon Pavilion.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the first set, both teams exchanged points early before the Gaels (5-11, 1-6 WCC) rattled off three straight to take a 16-15 lead. On the following point, San Diego’s (11-4, 5-1 WCC) Merve Tanyel notched a kill that spurred a 9-1 run for the Toreros as they took the opening set, 25-17.
- USD jumped to an early 7-3 advantage in the second set but three attack errors by the Toreros and a kill from Morgan Hughes drew the teams even at 7-7. Soon after, San Diego went on a 10-1 run thanks in part to three kills from Jayden Kennedy for a 20-10 lead. Down 24-14 in the set, the Gaels rallied for five straight points, including two kills by Lindsey Calvin, but ultimately fell 25-19.
- Saint Mary’s rebounded from an early deficit in the third set but a 9-0 run by the Toreros opened it up at 17-7. USD’s Roxie Wiblin recorded five kills in the run and six of her eight kills in the final set. The Gaels clawed back with a 5-1 run near the end of the match, but Kennedy’s 12th kill of the match capped the Toreros’ win, 25-18.
- Lindsey Knudsen had a strong all-around game for the Gaels with her team-leading nine kills and two service aces. She also contributed six digs and one block.
- SMC recorded 31 kills during the match with 11 coming in the first set. The team recorded their highest hitting percentage in the middle frame at .250.
- USD hit .344 as a team and recorded 17 kills in the final set. Addie Picha nearly recorded a double-double with nine kills and nine blocks and Lizzy Tardieu led all players with 12 digs.
The Gaels will play just one game next week as they host Pacific for a Saturday matinee at 1 p.m.