2017 CCSA BEACH VOLLEYBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS
On a rainy day in Emerson, Georgia, the 4th-ranked Florida State Seminoles prevailed 3-0 over FIU on Sunday to claim their second-consecutive CCSA Conference Championship.
The teams didn’t finish their matchup, with storms looming throughout the day in Georgia, and while FIU was in contention on each of the two unfinished lines, Florida State won at 5, 3, and 2, and that was all they needed to clinch the title.
The day ended when Vanessa Freire and Victoria Paranagua beat Katie Friesen and Taija Thomas 2-0 (21-16, 21-19) at #2 to finish the day.
The final scores:
No. 4 Florida State 3, No. 10 FIU 0 – Emerson, Ga.
- Leigh Andrew/Brooke Kuhlman (FSU) vs. Margherita Bianchin/Frederica Frasca (FIU) 17-21, 16-17, unfinished
- Vanessa Freire/Victoria Paranagua (FSU) def. Katie Friesen/Taija Thomas (FIU) 21-16, 21-19
- Macy Jerger/Sierra Sanchez (FSU) def. Helene Thelle/Natalia Giron (FIU) 21-19, 21-9
- Katie Horton/Francesca Goncalves (FSU) vs. Katie Hogan/Lina Bernier (FIU) 21-15, 10-19, unfinished
- Hailey Luke/Eva Torruella (FSU) def. Anabela Sataric/Estefanie Bethancour (FIU) 21-12, 21-6
Order of finish: 5, 3, 2*
Florida State will receive a bid to the 8-team NCAA tournaments, likely as a top 4 seed. Florida International will have to wait and see if their upset-run to the CCSA championship game is enough to earn them a spot in the tournament as well.