Big East Conference Roundup
Sept. 28-29, 2018
Creighton picked up two victories, including a comeback win over Butler in five sets on Friday, to remain the lone unbeaten in league play at 4-0.
Two players – Marquette’s Allie Barber and Villanova’s Amanda Pedersen-Henry – reached the 1,000 kill milestone. Marquette’s career block assists record fell care of Jenna Rosenthal and Xavier’s Audrey Adams posted a .917 hitting effort in a win.
Creighton def. Butler 3-2 (25-19, 24-26, 28-30, 25-18, 15-11)
Xavier def. Providence 3-0 (26-24, 25-20, 25-16)
Marquette def. Georgetown 3-0 (25-18, 25-13, 25-20)
Villanova def. DePaul 3-0 (25-20, 25-20, 25-19)
- Creighton’s Taryn Kloth racked up 14 of her 26 kills in the final two stanzas as the Bluejays rallied from down 2-1 to top Butler in five.
- Butler posted 16 blocks in the loss, including 11 by Bri Lilley and nine by Natalie Ravenell. Lilly finished off a double-double with a team-best 10 kills.
- Audrey Adams hit at a .917 clip (11-0-12) to lead the Xavier attack in the victory of Providence.
- Jenna Rosenthal became Marquette’s all-time blocks assists lead, registering four in the win over Georgetown to move to 416 for her career. Rosenthal notched five total blocks in the match as did Elizabeth Orf as the team outblocked the Hoyas 10-5.
Jenna Rosenthal becomes the #muvb all-time leader in assisted blocks! pic.twitter.com/JVg6dznqMa
— Marquette Volleyball (@MarquetteVB) September 29, 2018
- Amanda Pedersen-Henry joined the 1,000 kill club in Villanova’s win over DePaul, moving to 1,005 with a team-leading 13 putaways in the match.
Congratulations to Amanda Pedersen-Henry on joining the 1️⃣0️⃣0️⃣0️⃣ career kill club. #GoNova ✌️ pic.twitter.com/6ErbycDHkF
— Villanova Volleyball (@NovaVolleyball) September 29, 2018
Marquette def. Villanova 3-0 (25-10, 25-23, 25-19)
DePaul def. Georgetown 3-1 (19-25, 25-22, 25-15, 25-20)
Butler def. Providence 3-0 (25-18, 25-11, 25-19)
Creighton def. Xavier 3-0 (25-19, 25-11, 25-19)
St. John’s def. Seton Hall 3-0 (25-15, 25-23, 25-17)
- Marquette racked up 12 aces in Saturday’s sweep of Villanova, including four by Martha Konovodoff and two each by four other players.
- Allie Barber registered her 1,000th career kill in the Marquette sweep, posting a team-best 15 putaways in the match. She finished the night with 1,005 total.
Congrats @allie_barber_ on reaching 1,000 career kills! Barber's 10th of the night brought her to the milestone! #muvb pic.twitter.com/DXZYhQUz3L
— Marquette Volleyball (@MarquetteVB) September 30, 2018
- Claire Anderson led DePaul to its first Big East win of the year with 12-kill, 16-dig double-double against Georgetown. She was one of four Blue Demon player with double-digit dig tallies.
- Butler outhit Providence .319 to .059 and outblocked the Friars 10-1 in the sweep.
- After scoring the first 11 points of the match against Xavier, Creighton cruised to victory, staking its claim as the last unbeaten team in Big East play. Jaali Winters led the team with an 11-kill, 15-dig double-double.
- St. John’s nearly doubled Seton Hall’s offensive output, racking up 51 kills to the Pirates’ 27. Efrosini Alexakou paced the Red Storm with a 13-kill, 12-dig double dip.
- Xavier takes on Marquette in Milwaukee, Wis., on Wednesday at 12:30 p.m. ET.
- Butler faces DePaul in Chicago at 8 p.m. ET Wednesday.