Warsaw Four Star Open
- Warsaw – Poland
- June 27 – July 1st
Brazil dominated the opening day of Warsaw’s 4 star main draw, with three women’s pairs and two men’s pairs doing very well in their pools. The day also saw current Olympic champions Alison Cerutti and Bruno Schimidt go head to head against each other for the first time since their separation. Lastly, American duo Kelly Claes and Brittany Hochevar beat top seeded Humana-Paredes/Pavan 2-0 (21/19 21/18) in way to leading their group. With the do-or-die losers’ matches in the pools scheduled for Friday, all 64 duos are still in contention.
Here are some of the most important of the day’s results:
- Maria Antonelli / Carolina Solberg Salgado beat Poland’s Jagoda Gruszczynska / Aleksandra Gromadowska 2-0 (21-17, 21-11) in their first match, and beat Sanne Keizer / Madelein Meppelink 2-1 (10-21, 21-16, 15-10) in their second victory.
- Barbara Freitas / Fernanda Alves beat Italy’s Marta Menegatti / Laura Giombini 2-0 (21-14, 21-12) in their first match, and beat Czech Republic’s Kristyna Kolocova / Michala Kvapilova 2-0 (21-19, 21-18) in their second match.
- Agatha Bednarczuk / Eduarda Lisboa beat USA’s Betsi Flint / Emily Day 2-0 (21-18, 21-17) in their first match, and beat Germany’s Karla Borger / Margareta Kozuch 2-0 (21-13, 21-10) in their second match.
- Alison Cerutti / Andre Stein beat Pedro Solberg / Bruno Schmidt 2-1 (21-17, 17-21, 17-15).
More USA Results
- Jacob Gibb / Taylor Crabb lost to Czechs Perusic/Schweiner 2-0 (21/17 21/14)
- Casey Patterson / Stafford Slick lost to Austria’s Doppler/Horst 2-0 (21/14 21/17)
- Kelly Claes / Brittany Hochevar beat Wang/Xia 2-0 (34/32, 31/15)
- Nicole Branagh / Kerri Walsh Jennings lost to Switzerland’s Betschart/Huberli 2-0 (21-19 23/21)
- Sara Hughes / Summer Ross beat Austria’s Schutzenhofer/Plesiutschnig 2-0 (21-16 21/13) but lost to Czechs Hermannova/Slukova 2-0 (21/14 21/14)