2017 FIVB WORLD TOUR SEASON OPENER
- Tuesday, Feb 7 – Sunday, Feb 12, 2017
- Fort Lauderdale, FL (Eastern Time Zone)
- Swatch Major Series site
- Finals live stream: RedBullTV
- Full event live stream
The Round of 24 concluded today for the women’s side of the Fort Lauderdale Major tournament, with many three set matches and a German upset.
Seixas/Alvas (BRA) def. Schutzenhofer/Schwaiger
- Score: 2-1, (21-9, 17-21, 15-9)
The Brazilian pair of Seixas/Alvas fought through Austrian pair Schutzenhofer/Schwaiger in a three-setter. The duo came out strong in the first, dominating 21-9, but faltered in the second falling 7-21 to set the match into a third set. They picked up their play to take the third set at 15-9.
Up next: The Brazilian squad is set to face Bansley/Wilkerson of Canada later today.
Meppelink/van Gestel (NED) def. Walkenhorst/Grossner (GER)
- Score: 2-0, (21-19, 21-15)
The Dutch pair maintained a steady lead the first set, letting the Germans gain some confidence late, unable to finish on three match points. After three German attacks, Meppelink was able to end the first at 21-19. The second set went very much the same way, however the Dutch didn’t let the Germans back into the match, rolling through them 21-15, taking down the reigning Olympic champion in two.
Up next: The Dutch duo will take on Brazilian pair of Larissa/Talita.
Other Round of 24 Results
- Birlova/Makroguzova (RUS) def. Heidrich/Verge-Depre (SUI) 2-0, (21-13, 21-16)
- Up next: Walsh-Jennings/Ross (USA)
- Fendrick/Hughes (USA) def. Borger/Kozuch (GER) 2-1, (18-21, 21-15, 19-17)
- Up next: Agatha/Eduarda (BRA)
- J. Alves/Maestrini (BRA) def. Ittlinger/Mersmann ( GER) 2-1, (21-15, 17-21, 15-10)
- Up next: Hermannova/Slukova (CZE)
- Day/Hochevar (USA) def. Stubbe/Sinnema (NED) 2-1, (21-19, 22-24, 15-10)
- Up next: Laboureur/Sude (GER)
- Ukolova/Barsuk (RUS) def. Claes/Reeves (USA) 2-1, (19-21, 21-13, 15-10)
- Up next: Sweat/Ross (USA)
- Kolocova/Kvapilova (CZE) def. Lahti/Parkkinen (FIN) 2-0, (21-12, 21-14)
- Up next: Elize Maia/Taiana Lima (BRA)