BIG WEST ROUNDUP
- Sept. 18, 2018
- #18 Cal Poly def. UC Davis 3-0
- LBSU def. UC Riverside 3-0
- UC Irvine def. UC Santa Barbara 3-1
- Cal State Northridge def. Cal State Fullerton 3-0
#18 CAL POLY DEF. UC DAVIS 3-0 (25-12, 25-22, 25-16)
- Cal Poly improves to 11-1, 1-0. UC Davis falls to 8-5, 0-1.
- Mott Athletics Center, San Luis Obispo, California
- Attendance: 1725
- Box score/Cal Poly Recap/UC Davis Recap
- Outside hitter Torrey Van Winden had a double-double for Cal Poly, tallying 14 kills and 16 digs.
Cal Poly opened Big West action as the only member in VolleyMob’s Top 25 Power Rankings, and Tuesday night, the Mustangs showed why they are the favorite to repeat as champions in the conference.
The first set was all Cal Poly as the Mustangs seized control from the opening point and never looked back. The Mustangs hit .519 as a team and did not commit an error on the attack, as they cruised to a 25-12 opening set win.
The Aggies held their own in the second, including holding a 16-15 advantage at one point. But the Mustangs battled back and used a 5-0 spurt to take control of the set. UC Davis managed to save one set point before it succumbed 25-22 to Cal Poly.
Cal Poly jumped in front early in the third and cruised to a 25-16 win to get the sweep over the visiting Aggies.
LONG BEACH STATE DEF. UC RIVERSIDE 3-0 (25-17, 25-21, 25-20)
- LBSU improves to 9-5, 1-0. UC Riverside falls to 5-7, 0-1.
- Walter Pyramid, Long Beach, California
- Attendance: 610
- Box score/UC Riverside Recap/LBSU Recap
- Long Beach State made a living at the net as outside hitters Emma Kirst and Kashauna Williams each contributed six blocks.
SWEEP! Long Beach State earns a 3-0 win over UC Riverside #GoBeach #LBNation pic.twitter.com/bSZWfQ21px
— LBSU W. Volleyball (@LBSU_WVB) September 19, 2018
UC IRVINE DEF. UC SANTA BARBARA 3-1 (25-19, 29-27, 11-25, 26-24)
- UC Irvine moves to 7-6, 1-0. UC Santa Barbara falls to 8-5, 0-1
- Thunderdome, Santa Barbara, California
- Attendance: 150
- Box score/ UC Irvine Recap/UC Santa Barbara Recap
- Despite winning the match, UC Irvine was outscored 95-91 in total points won, digs (76-65), kills (60-49), and assists (55-44).
- UCSB outside hitter Lindsey Ruddins led all players with 23 kills.
CAL STATE NORTHRIDGE DEF. CAL STATE FULLERTON 3-0 (25-20, 25-20, 25-14)
- CSUN improves to 5-8, 1-0 while Cal State Fullerton drops to 6-7, 0-1.
- The Matadome, Northridge, California
- Attendance: 659
- Box score/ CSU Fullerton Recap/CSUN Recap
- The Matadors hit .286 as a team and held the Titans to just .044, including -.069 in the third set.
- #18 Cal Poly will take on CSU Fullerton at 10 p.m. Friday.
- UC Davis meets Hawaii at 10 p.m. Friday.
- UC Riverside hosts UC Santa Barbara at 10 p.m. Friday.
- UC Irvine battles Hawaii at 6 p.m. ET Sunday.
- CSUN welcomes Long Beach State at 10 p.m. E.T. Saturday.
Follow the Big West all season long and be sure to check VolleyMob for TV Listings in your area.