There will be a new team in the Deutsche Volleyball-Bundesliga for the 2017/2018 season. The newly formed team will play under the name Hypo Tirol Alpenvolleys Haching as combination of two teams that competed in Germany and Austria last season. TSV Unterhaching of Germany and Hypo Tirol Innsbruck of Austria have decided to join forces and have been awarded a wild card by the highest league in Germany in order to compete this season.
Reports have stated that Hypo Tirol Innsbruck was unhappy with the level of play in Austria after winning 10 of the past 13 Austrian league championships. Although the team will compete in the German Bundesliga, many of their home matches will take place in Innsbruck, Austria.
The roster will consist of 14 players, seven of which transferred in from Hypo Tirol and two members that played for TSV Unterhaching last season. The team will also welcome five new players to the roster.
The roster construction is as follows:
- Libero: Lucas Provenzano de Dues of Brazil
- Middle Blockers: Marek Beer of the Czech Republic, Douglas Duarte da Silva of Brazil, and Pedro Frances of Brazil.
- Opposites: Rudy Verhoeff of Canada, Juan Pablo Moreno Mosquera of Colombia, and Peter Mlynarcik of Slovakia.
- Outside Hitters: Jonas Sagstetter of Germany, Igor Globeiny of Belgium, Bartosz Pietruczuk of Poland, Niklas Kronthaler of Austria, and Stefan Chrtiansky Jr. of Slovakia.
- Setters: Danilo Gelinksi of Brazil and Georgi Topalov of Bulgaria.
Stefan Chrtiansky Sr. of Slovakia will serve as the Head Coach.
Vfb Friedrichshafen is the defending champion of the Bundesliga having won the German championship for a record 14th time.